Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 02 Dec 12 9:48pm

Antasto

Member since Sat 14 Jul 12

farls with what?

Hi all, I have recently cooked farls http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5092 … ed-salmon, and topped it with salmon as the recipe says. Now, I am thinking about changing the toppoing, perhaps something vegetarian, but i am not entirely sure what, does anybody have an idea?
I thought I could top them with a large slice of tomatoes, chopped onions and parlsey. That's an option, but I'd like something better
thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 03 Dec 12 3:34pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: farls with what?

Hi Antasto - your link isn't working. Can you clarify what you mean by farls? The word can mean various things, e.g. it can mean potato farls, made with potato and flour, or it can mean a quarter-round shaped oatcake.

If it's potato farls you mean, here they are often served with bacon, sausages, black pudding and so on. I think you could use anything which would go with the potato flavour.

I wonder if you could cut up potato scones  - that's what they're called in Scotland - and use them instead of gnocchi? That's a stupid idea that just wandered into my head, proceed at your own risk.

Last edited by hippytea (Mon 03 Dec 12 3:35pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 03 Dec 12 5:53pm

Antasto

sorry it's not working cos I have included a come, here it is http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5092 … ked-salmon

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 03 Dec 12 9:12pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Ok. Potato farls.

Always annoys me when they call these "traditional Irish" as if they invented the idea. They're traditional in Scotland, too!  tongue  We roll them thinner. I think they eat them in parts of England as well.

So my comments remain. I think they're best hot with butter or with bacon and sausages, but you could try topping them with the sorts of flavours you associate with potato gnocchi - tomato, cheese, ricotta, spinach.

My goodness. I think I'm going to try this. You could layer them up to make a sort of tattie-scone-gnocchi-lasagne. Whoo!

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 03 Dec 12 9:21pm

Antasto

eh eh, in fact I have purposefully omitted that "traditionally irish" : -)
How about a vegetarian version?

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 04 Dec 12 2:40am

hippytea

From Scotland

Well, the Italian ideas are vegetarian.

I think they'd go well with a lot of things, actually, if they're fresh and crispy. Anything that would go with potatoes would go with a potato scone/farl/cake.

I totally think topping them with ricotta and spinach and some  shocked vegetarian Italian hard cheese big_smile on top would totally work. Grill/broil it to make it crispy.

As it is 1:38 AM where I am and I have never tried this before, I think it is completely sound advice and you should do it right away. Heck, add some pureed peas, they go with anything. Such a pretty colour...

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 04 Dec 12 6:05am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Is cheese out Antasto? How about grilled capsicum and mushroom?

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 04 Dec 12 10:32am

hippytea

From Scotland

Oh, are we talking vegan?

Fry them up crispy and serve with baked beans in tomato sauce.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 04 Dec 12 7:21pm

Antasto

cheese is fine actually, perhaps something a bit more appealing than baked beans : - )

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 04 Dec 12 7:25pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I would love to taste them warmed with guacamole yummy

Likes (0)