forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 05 Dec 12 2:29am

Thessia

Member since Wed 05 Dec 12

Histamine intolerance - recipes wanted

Hello dear forum, I'm new here!
I have been wondering, whether there are any people that struggle with histamine intolerance or some seriously creative foodies that could help me out.

I have been struggling with an histamine introlerance with a few years now and my own creativity has pretty much come to an end - I just dont know what to eat anymore. Obviously I want the food to be healthy, I also want to keep it relatively low on carbs, as I want to lose weight.

It would probably be easier to ask me what I can eat, but here is a list of all things people with a histamine intolerance are not supposed to eat (obviously this varies from person to person):

Basically, general rule is, the older it is, the more histamine it contains, so:

- anything pickled (sauerkraut, gherkins,...)
-mature cheese (fresh mozarella and and young cheeses are relatively fine)
-wine, beer, champagne, pretty much any alcohol (using a splash of white wine usually is fine, as it does not contain too much histamine)
-vinegar and foods containing it such as dressings, pickles, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard
-citrus fruits (lemons, lime, oranges,...)
-strawberries, very ripe bananas, pineapple, kiwi, papayas, raspberries, in general very ripe fruit, especially dried
-spinach, avocado, any legume (peas, beans, lentils,...), aubergines, pumpkin, mushrooms, tomatoes (very horrible for me)
-nuts
-soy products (soy sauce, tofu, soy beans)
-cured and processed meats (sausages, salami, pancetta, ...)
-tinned or smoked fish
-yeast
-whole wheat/grain
-anything that's very spiced, my belly does not seem to like (chili, cumin, cardamom, etc - the simpler it is, the better it is, anything fresh and leavy is fine)

I tried to be as precise as I can be, if I forgot anything, please try to use your common sense, anything that is NOT fresh, any condaments, anything thats mature I can not eat. I'd hate if you post a recipe and I'd have to correct you on it.

I'm pretty sure most of the people, that are completely new to this, will be like 'Oh my god! What do you eat?!' Well, I have been basically living off:

Vegetables: Zucchini (or courgettes), broccoli, bell peppers (too much can kind of cause a bad reaction, so I try to keep that amount low), cauliflower, cabbages, leek, onions and spring onions, carrots, turnips, asparagus (sadly, very seasonal though, I really love it sad ), corn, potatos
Fruit: Grapes, Apples, Pears (if they are not too ripe), now and then a banana is fine, stone fruits (cherries, peaches, nectarines,..), blueberries
Meat: anything fresh really, I like to keep it lean, I'm not big on fatty meats
Fish: I probably don't eat as much as I should do, as fish is something, that very quickly staggers in histamin, for me it is pretty much only safe to eat after it's been cought. Frozen fish is fine, if its thawed in a cold fridge, but frankly, I can never be bothered. When I eat fish, I usually let it thaw a bit and whack it pretty much frozen in a pan (I know..it's pretty much the worst thing to do, but that's just the easiest)
Carbs: as long as its not whole grain/wheat or yeasty bread, anything pretty much goes; rice, couscous, polenta, potatoes, pasta/noodles,...

I know this was a really long post, I just want to make sure, you people know every detail of your challenge. I would be so so happy, if just one of you came up with something that is relatively new to me! Obviously, if you have any questions, just go ahead and ask smile

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this,

Thessia

Last edited by Thessia (Wed 05 Dec 12 2:30am)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 05 Dec 12 11:10am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Histamine intolerance - recipes wanted

Stovies! I like leek stovies best: cut up the whites of leeks and fry until tender. Add potatoes chopped in largish chunks, fry for a bit, then add stock (can you have stock?) or water and salt, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover and cook gently, stirring every now and then and adding more water as it boils down, for about 30-45min until soft. Then add the chopped green parts of the leeks and, if you can have it, some pepper. (I mean black or white pepper, not bell peppers).

I can't see any mention of butter - if you can have butter, that's the nicest thing to fry the leeks in, but oil will do.

This is a nice side dish, or you can add small amounts of meat or fish as it cooks to make a full meal. Carrots are also nice, just add along with the potatoes. Very hearty and satisfying. But not low-carb. Sorry! I will think on this and see if I can come up with anything low-carb for you.

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 05 Dec 12 11:11am)

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 05 Dec 12 11:45am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I was surprised you listed mushrooms as a don't . I was looking at a list that showed them as relatively low in histamine. Are they liberators or Dao inhibitors ??

This is a tough challenge. I will think on it but for a start how about something relatively simple.  Let me know if it has anything that won't work and maybe I can come up with a way to tweak it

this recipe for gluten free gnocchi uses starchy potatoes(russets) , white rice flour and sweet rice flour.  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012 … ecipe.html It uses eggs but since it will be cooked will the egg whites be ok?  It is possible just to use yolks btw. It is the lethicin in yolks that has most of the binding power anyway. The suggested sauces for it look to be a problem but would dressing it wwith sage and browned butter be ok?   A toasted  gremolata of these homemade rice breadcrumbs http://livefitwithstephanie.com/how-to- … eadcrumbs/ , and maybe fresh parsley and garlic  and melted butter could give a  nice texture treat instead of the typical grated parm .

Last edited by Ashen (Wed 05 Dec 12 11:52am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#4 Wed 05 Dec 12 3:28pm

Thessia

@hippytea
Wow thank you so much, I really like the sound of this, I'm definately going to try this , leeks are amazing! And yes, butter and stock are fine! Thank youuu!

Ashen wrote:

I was surprised you listed mushrooms as a don't . I was looking at a list that showed them as relatively low in histamine. Are they liberators or Dao inhibitors ??

Well, the thing is, all those lists say something different, which is why I made me own. Histamine intolerance is something relatively new and it hasn't been researched as much as let's say lactose intolerance. I'm not sure what mushrooms exactly do, I can only speak from experience, as I also have a fungus allergy (the fungus you get from damp walls for example) I should stay away from mushrooms anyways. I sometimes eat mushrooms, since for me with some things I can get away if it's not too much , but I cheat and treat myself with so many things that I shouldn't be eating (if I don't have any tomato based pasta once a month, I'd probably go insane big_smile) that I felt like I need some really strict recipes that are nice.

Thank you for your recipes, the egg whites never really have been a problem to me. I have never heard of rice bread crumbs, they sound really interesting! For sauces I guess I can always come up with something creamy and leeky, for texture I guess I could get some cooked ham really crispy for now! Yes, yes, that sounds nice, I like it! I'm definately gonna try and make these, it'll have to wait though since I'm in the middle of exams and this seems very time consuming, but thank you so much!

Thank you for your inspiration!

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 05 Dec 12 5:30pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Can you have oats? Or is that too wholegrain?

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 05 Dec 12 5:37pm

Thessia

hippytea wrote:

Can you have oats? Or is that too wholegrain?

To be honest, I am not sure. I eat porridge fine, probably because the oats are cooked and easier to digest that way. I think it wouldn't work for me if it was raw oats.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 05 Dec 12 7:19pm

lhistaminechef

Hi there!

I've been dealing with histamine intolerance/histaminosis/mast cell activation for the last 4 years.

Check out my Facebook Page thelowhistaminechef - you'll find recipes/photos.

It's really not hard and I've found that adding nutrition rather than eliminating foods has helped me "recover". I went from having to quit my job to running two successful companies and traveling most of the year. DIfficult to do with a histamine condition but I prepare, a LOT.

Typical month for me: GF pad thai, omelette with antihistamine herbs, tropical fruit smoothie with flax and chia, GF (sugar free) brownies with banana ice cream, polenta fritters, GF pizza with red pepper/beet sauce, coconut milk crepes, blueberry oatmeal bars, oatmeal scones, coconut yoghurt, flapjacks etc.

Mornings I usually have a green smoothie/juice (i.e. kale, apple, broccoli, carrot) which is high in anti inflammatory and histamine lowering ingredients and I try to eat as many querctin rich foods as I can.

There's LOADS you can make, it's about having a great attitude towards food and using this condition as an opportunity to get healthy!

Hope this helps smile

Likes (1)

#8 Wed 05 Dec 12 9:49pm

Thessia

Wow...where have you been the past years smile? I quickly checked on your facebook and you really seem to know what you're doing, can't believe you actually have a cookbook...I own one and the recipes are extremely boring.

Thank you so much, really! You and your cooking are very inspiring and you seem to have done a lot of work for people that struggle with this!

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 05 Dec 12 10:05pm

Thessia

I only just realised...you use legumes? Have I been wrong all these years and I can actually eat them? I'm confused big_smile

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 11 Dec 12 8:18am

hippytea

From Scotland

This is not healthy but as a treat you could try cranachan. It's usually whipped cream, toasted oats and berries but you could use chopped cherries and blueberries. It's also usually sweetened with honey - you don't mention what sugars you can have but if honey won't do you could use sugar. You just mix or layer up the ingredients and eat it with a spoon. Sort of like a fruit fool.

I know it sounds bizarre but to me it is what we will be eating in heaven. Worth a try, maybe - you might be OK with the oats if they're toasted?

As for a savoury thing, you can make a nice pasta with fried courgette slices. It usually involves parmesan but I wonder if you could use mozzarella instead - it would be a different dish but maybe good. The other poster suggested using a gremolata instead of parmesan, that might be nice here as well.

Likes (0)