forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 05 Dec 12 10:11am

riddler7

Member since Wed 05 Dec 12

Bad experience at Union Jacks Covent Garden

Good morning all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I thought I would post for info...

We had a very disappointing customer experience in Union Jacks Covent Garden on Saturday evening.

We were seated quickly when we arrived at the restaurant at around 8pm.  After being shown to our seats we were then left unattended for approximately 15 minutes before a waitress came to our table. The waitress appeared distracted but we were asked what we would like to order (we were not however offered a drink first).  We ordered the Mini Yorkies to share for a starter and then I ordered the Old Spot Flatbread and my wife ordered the Woodman, WE then had to ask if we could order a drink.  Our order was taken but the waitress then told us that the Woodman flatbread was unavailable (as there was no sauce available) - she was then unable to recommend a suitable alternative to The Woodman when we enquired.

My wife eventually decided to order the Margaret with added mushrooms.  Strangely I was then asked again what I would like to order despite having already specifying the Old Spot.

When our complete order had finally been taken (& based on the experience thus far) we swiftly & regrettably decided to tell the waitress to cancel the order and leave.

Upon leaving our seats the restaurant manager (we assume) asked us if there was a problem.  We told the manager exactly what had happened and despite being initially apologetic (he was however surprised when we told him that the Woodman flatbread was unavailable) he then became quite confrontational and we were told that the restaurant was 'very busy' - this despite empty tables being in clear view.  Upon leaving the restaurant my wife was then followed (by the manager) and told that the restaurant 'clearly wasn't for us'.  Consequently, although feeling very deflated we decided to eat in 'Zizzi's' opposite, where we had a very pleasant meal.

The fact is that we specifically travelled to Covent Garden (from Hertfordshire) to dine at Union Jacks on Saturday evening.  We have eaten at the restaurant before (shortly after it opened) when we had a lovely meal and crucially were attended to by friendly & enthusiastic staff.

We eat out regularly and I've never been as disappointed by an experience as this (& indeed I've never felt the need to complain retrospectively before).

We are huge Jamie Oliver fans, we have eaten at Jamie's Italian many times,  we own all of his cookery books and also subscribe to his magazine.  I don't feel that our experience on Saturday was befitting to his name.

I've sent this complaint using the Union Jacks feedback form so we shall see if anything comes of it.

Thanks for reading!

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 06 Dec 12 12:54am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Re: Bad experience at Union Jacks Covent Garden

All the way from Herefordshire to London just for Union Jacks, really?
We had nice food at Union Jacks, good service also.  If one of the flatbreads was unavailable, it would not have bothered me.
We visited London a few weeks back, not just for Union Jacks. In fact it was pure chance we passed it and went in. London has many good food outlets, and many bad ones, be warned.
BanhMih 11 is a superb place, pretty cheap.
Gordon Ramsay on Hospital Road is the best.
We had superb food at 15 some years ago. My steak at Barbecoa was pretty good, nicely cooked and tender. I live on the edge of Dartmoor, so I have a high bench mark with meat. 15 Cornwall last month was wonderful!
Look you have got me started again!

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 06 Dec 12 1:06am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum riddler7  smile   

I am sorry you had an unsatisfactory experience at Union Jacks , I have not been to the restaurant in Covent garden yet but I have been to the restaurant near Tottenham court road tube station , I have to speak as I find and have always found the staff to be very helppful.

Its such a shame that your wife could not have the Woodman's flatbread as it is my favorite. I know this does not help you but I can see that it might be difficult to suggest something similar as the flats are all so indervidual .

Although this is not always the best route to get a complaint heard it might get noticed and if it does I am sure it will be passed on to the right people.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 06 Dec 12 6:10pm

melindabiddle

Member since Thu 06 Dec 12

Dear Snob
I canít believe that I wasted time reading this!  I thought this was a forum to share ideas and recipes and the like.  Not a site to complain about bad service!?
Apparently you have never had the luxury to line up for food at a shelter or a food bank.
How many hungry people do you have in your community?  How about volunteering at a shelter or food bank? Perhaps instead of complaining you may want to try and help your fellow man. That would be the right thing to do.

Shame on you!

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 07 Dec 12 9:15am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Welcome to the forum melindabiddle smile

Your right this is a place that people come to share recipes and discuss food issues and that is the part of the forum I enjoy most , but that's not all the forum has to offer , it has a great sense of friendship , of community and understanding of each of our different cultures and lives.
It's sort of like having extended family and as such all manner of things get discussed .
People do come to the site to complain , or raise some other point that they feel strongly about . This is not wrong but its not always the best avenue for raising the points they feel are valid.
What we do on the forum is to try not to judge people for their different outlooks on life .

I am not sure that writing 'dear Snob' was the best thing to do in a first post , it's unclear who the post is being directed at , it's meant to cause offence to who ever you are directing the post at and I am sorry to say but it comes across as rude.
There seems to be no reason from what has previously been written for
you to know that the people , including me , who have written in this post have not experienced taking food to a food bank  or helped feed others who are hungry.
I don't think that launching into someone on a thread such as this is very helpful to get the message that you are trying to convey across.

Can I suggest that you start a dedicated thread about this issue so that its more likely to be noticed and read , but do try to get your point across as a discussion rather that an accusation. It will help.

Back to you calling someone 'Dear Snob' .. Firstly , if this is Mr Oliver you are referring to ,( as its his website and you seen to have joined to get your point across .. It could be ) , if its Mr Oliver your reffering to then I think you will find that he does a lot for disadvantaged people and other charities that help people who find themselves in difficulties for one reason or another . His restaurant I know for a fact had helped tremendously in helping some young people who have found themselves struggling with life get back on a more constructive path , the chefs I have had great privilege to meet have a great sense of support and 'family' about their training and this does not stop once they have been trained . Many also go on to support charities and help where they can .
If you are directing your post at Myself or Goose then I think you will find by reading tother posts that Goose has made that goose has a strong sense of community and help , I can't imagine goose never donating to a food bank , or ignoring someone's hunger for food.
Myself , I have donated to a food bank and I will often go to get a hot meal of some type or a hot drink for someone I see in need . I would far rather give food than put money in a pot. Yes I do also support the big issue etc as well and I know that Goose also does the same.
I cannot speak for riddler7 as I do not know them as yet.

Please remember that you know little about the members of the forum and their circumstances or how they live or where in the world that they live .

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 10 Dec 12 12:57pm

riddler7

Member since Wed 05 Dec 12

@nGoose1 & mummza thank you for taking the time to reply, you thoughts are much appreciated.

I'm delighted to say that Union Jacks have kindly offered to rectify the situation - so good news and a massive thumbs up with regards to their customer service.

I appreciate that this probably wasn't the right place for a complaint of this nature & apologize for any offence caused.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 10 Dec 12 4:38pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

riddler , no don't worry , I am sure no offence has been taken by anyone. I am pleased for you that the. Situation has been sorted out and thanks for coming back to the forum to tell us about that.
I hope your wife does get a woodland flat at some time , I really enjoy that one and tend to get it most of the tome we go there.

I'm hoping to get to the. Coventry Garden union jack's later this week , I will have to see how time goes . I want to call at Coventry garden if I can as I am told that the enter of Coventry garden houses a giant Lego advent calendar. This year and I am interested to see how that looks.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 18 Dec 12 6:50pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

None caused to me, itís a possibly a good idea to voice views about Jamieís resteraurants on this site, good or bad. Thanks for the repost. You sound like a descent person; we need more of those in the world.
Glad you got it rectified riddler.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 12 Jan 13 8:02pm

KMS0099

Member since Tue 01 Jan 13

We had a bad experience as well. We've been before and had great service and food. Granted Chris was there that day (partial owner) We just went for coffee and dessert. Drinks came way after the desserts and the espresso was luke warm as if it had been sitting, we were told our drinks were coming. Waitor came and took our order then another came to try to take it as well. The staff did look confused. They were out of sticky toffee pudding ice cream (no big deal) but waitor gave another recommendation the earl grey tea ice cream was AMAZING! The mint tea didnt strain well AT ALL and my friend thought it tasted like warm pickle juice (haha) I didnt think it was too bad but have had better. There were LOTS of flakes in the bottom of his cup. I'm not sure if loose leaf tea usually does that or not. I will always go back but I guess they just have bad days. We have emailed them with NO RESPONSE.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 13 Jan 13 3:35pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

KMS0099 wrote:

We have emailed them with NO RESPONSE.

Of the unpleasant visit this bothers me the most. Of course I've never had a mint pickle though  tongue . This feedback is the most important. People who can't satisfy the client shouldn't be in the service industry. hmm

Likes (0)