Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 10 Dec 12 1:05pm

kah22

Member since Mon 04 Apr 11

Butter Free Puff Pastry

Has anyone got a recipe for rough puff pastry which contains no butter? I know it sounds like a contradiction so let me explain.

I was in Sainsburys the other day and picked up a block of their pre-rolled puff pastry. To my surprise there was no mention of butter in the ingredients. I emailed the company to confirm this and yes there was no butter used!

The fact that there was no butter in the product actually pleased me because it means I can now give my colleague apple turnover when he visits next. I would normally just have an apple tart for him.

Butter, as you all know, has become pretty expensive these days and if I could use a ruff puff pastry for my pies etc it surely would cut the price down and maybe help make the pastry that little bit quicker.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 10 Dec 12 2:12pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Butter Free Puff Pastry

Kah22.  You didn't divulge what fat Sainsbury's used in their rough puff pastry!

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 10 Dec 12 2:56pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Butter free puff pastry ?

Maybe you could use a margarine ,or, even half butter and half marg' , but its the butter that gives the flavour , if it was me.. I would spend the extra cash and go for butter , mince  pies are not eaten all year round and they have to taste good.

Do you always shop in the same supermarket each ime of can yo get to others to look around for offers.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 10 Dec 12 3:52pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I think a lot of commercial puff pastry uses margarine or shortening.

The one and only time I made puff pastry was in school, and we used half butter, half Cookeen, which is a hard vegetable shortening like Trex or Crisco. I don't know if they were saving money or if the harder fat gave a better texture. I know shortcrust is better made with lard or shortening than with butter.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 10 Dec 12 3:54pm

kah22

Thistledo wrote:

You didn't divulge what fat Sainsbury's used in their rough puff pastry!

Quite right been lazy I suppose

Here is a list of the ingredients. Wheat flour, water, vegetable oils (rapeseed, palm), palm  fats, salt,preservative,potassium, sorbate,emulsiffer: mono and diglcerides of fatty acids. (hope I've read the ingredients properly, small print and bad eyes big_smile )

When you see the list of ingredients then is it any wonder I'd like to make the pastry myself!!!

mummza wrote:

Butter free puff pastry ? ... but its the butter that gives the flavour

agree, unfortunately my friend is lactose intolerant and I thought this would be a nice surprise for him.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 10 Dec 12 4:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

My grandmother used to make the pastry with lard .. Or sometimes half lard and half. Margarine . My mother also used to make pastry like that . Neither would have dreamt of using butter in pastry .

Me .. I just like the flavour of butter in baking .

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 10 Dec 12 7:20pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

If you were to make ruff puff pastry with margarine, it would have to be a hard margarine.  But, if you want the taste of butter, and your friend is prepared to try some beforehand, you could President butter, which is made from fermented cream (creme fraiche), and which has much less lactose in it as a result.  My lactose-intolerant husband seems to be fine eating it ...  It certainly tastes much better than margarine, and gives a much better texture, too.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 10 Dec 12 8:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Sorry I always still think of margarine as the blocks of hard margarine.
I always think of the soft stuff in tubs as 'spread' .

That's interesting what you say about the president butter , I had not realised that .
I have some in the fridge at the moment but its the spreadable pot rather than the block. I have not tried it yet .

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 11 Dec 12 12:19am

kah22

oliviascotland, thanks for the info about creme fraiche having much less lactose, didn't know that. I'll certainly pass the info on but knowing my friend he is VERY cautious about what he eats.

The Presidents butter does not appear to be on sale here in Northern Ireland, at least not in my local supermarkets.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 16 Dec 12 10:32pm

Khun

Occupation Food Technologist
From The Netherlands
Member since Sat 19 Feb 05

hmm,

There are mainly 2 reasons that the industry mostly don't use butter in puff pastry (unless the package says so to add value of course):
- Milk fat is expensive: more expensive than most fats from vegetable origin.
- Milk fat is not the ideal fat for making puff pastry: Although there are a few techniques for making puff pastry it all comes down to this: between the various dough layers there is a very thin layer of fat. This fat keeps the various layers of dough 'apart' enabling a nice puffing during baking. So what you want is NOT TO BREAK this very thin fat layer. Butter 'breaks' / spreads easily uneven while making puff pastry dough. Therefore the best fat for industrial puff pastry is actually quite hard and kneadable. It doesnt feel fatty and it's texture is well... more like clay. With this fat you can make very thin WHOLE layers of fat between the dough layers.

Likes (0)