forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#561 Sun 09 Dec 12 11:24am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Jamie!  I'm cooking VENISON LEG STEAKS today.  Think I'll cook as I would for fillet steaks.  Would you think it a good idea to lightly brush the steaks with oil and maybe coat the outside with 5-spice?  Never used this spice before but seeing it used a lot on recipes.
You (or anyone) have help  a couple of hours to reply, please.
Ta muchly!

Likes (0)

#562 Sun 09 Dec 12 1:50pm

elainebateman

Member since Sun 09 Dec 12

Would it be weird to cover my turkey with pork skin? I was thinking if I covered it in sheets of slashed pork skin, the pork fat would baste it and I'd get a nice crackling along with the turkey.  I'm thinking maybe attach it with cocktail sticks or something.  If I do that, would I still have to cover it with foil?  Or is it just a really bad idea?

Elaine

Likes (0)

#563 Sun 09 Dec 12 1:57pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I saw this done with salt pork on a TV cooking show.  They took the pork off long enough to let the skin get browned.  I think your method would be fine and if you use something salty, just think about rendering some of the salt out so your drippings aren't too salty to make gravy.

Likes (0)

#564 Sun 09 Dec 12 8:53pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Thistledo wrote:

Hi Jamie!  I'm cooking VENISON LEG STEAKS today.  Think I'll cook as I would for fillet steaks.  Would you think it a good idea to lightly brush the steaks with oil and maybe coat the outside with 5-spice?  Never used this spice before but seeing it used a lot on recipes.
You (or anyone) have help  a couple of hours to reply, please.
Ta muchly!

Game is so different from fillet steak. I marinate it for at least 24hrs in red wine to make it tender before cooking...it then needs more fluids to become succulent.

Likes (0)

#565 Sun 09 Dec 12 11:28pm

murraycaplan

Member since Sun 09 Dec 12

Hi
I'd love to see a section on sauces, marinades, and salad dressing.
I love how you put together unique dressing, sauces, and marinades and would love to try them out.
Murray
Canada

Likes (0)

#566 Mon 10 Dec 12 4:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

murraycaplan wrote:

Hi
I'd love to see a section on sauces, marinades, and salad dressing.
I love how you put together unique dressing, sauces, and marinades and would love to try them out.
Murray
Canada

Welcome to the forum murraycaplan  smile

Do you mean a section in one of the books or on this forum?
Untill recently we did have rather more sections to the forum but things tended to get confused with questions and topics being written in the wrong places and so things have been simplified .

Likes (0)

#567 Mon 10 Dec 12 9:06pm

Miss Fitz

Member since Mon 10 Dec 12

Hi,

Im just looking for your chicken & mushroom vol au vents receipe. Can you or anybody else me out please?

Thanks..  smile

Likes (0)

#568 Tue 11 Dec 12 8:42am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Elaine, re the turkey and pork skin: in the days when I used to cook turkey for Christmas, I used to protect the bird with the fattiest bacon I could find, so can't see why pork skin wouldn't work. Just heed what MsP says about the salt for your gravy.

Good luck crossed

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#569 Tue 11 Dec 12 8:46am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Butterbread wrote:

just watch your Christmas show and my mouth watered the whole time, will you post the best gravy, the butter herb stuffing for the turkey breast etc. on this site

Butterbread, sorry for the delay in replying.

I've just dug out "Jamie's Christmas" DVD. It is dated 2005. You maybe could try one of the online outlets as I haven't seen it in the shops for ages crossed

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#570 Tue 11 Dec 12 3:02pm

shevie

Member since Tue 11 Dec 12

Hi there Jamie, I hope you can inspire me!
On a complete whim, I decided to make my dear old aged mum a box of home made marron glaces for xmas as she loves them so much and they're about 1.50 EACH in the shops! I have successfully made about 24 and they are delicious but in several million pieces, but never mind, she'll be well impressed and will eat every mouthful, I know.
My question is this, apart from using it on ice cream, and mixing it into cream to go with meringues (my arteries are clogging just thinking about it) what can I do with the leftover syrup. It's full of gorgeousness (now where did I get that word from?) and I simply can't bring myself to throw it out.
Can you think of anything?
thumbsup  help  crossed

Likes (0)