forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 10 Dec 12 10:28pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

looking for pasta sauce recipe with broccolo friulano

http://notonlygreen.org/2012/10/28/il-b … -friulano/
the ones I planted in my campo could be also toscani and now after a few days of deep cold I'm sure it's time to start using them, shall I boil them before sauteing them with garlic?????? would you use anchovies aswell wink  think

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 10 Dec 12 11:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: looking for pasta sauce recipe with broccolo friulano

Is this it Grandmadamada ?
http://www.ortofiorito.it/giardino/pianta-397.htm

Looking at it I think what I would do is to rip the leaves from the stalks as the stalks look like they will take longer to cook. chop the stalk ( leaving behind the stringy bit ) , rip up the leaves ( or chp them if you prefer )
In a lidded pan , I would put just a very small amount if water, a good knob of butter and a little seasoning then I would add the stalks to cok for a few momentts before I add the ripped up leaves.
Put the lid on the pan and cook .
As there is not much liquid in the pan the leaves will almost steam and the buttery broccoli water will be full of flavour so I mould use that with the pasta .
I am not sure about frying the leaves with the garlic.
But if I was to do that I would cook the leaves till almost cooked, remove them from the liquid and leave the liquid in the pan to reduce a bit whilst I sauted the leaves wih some garlic.

EDIT .. I have been thinking , I probably would ot fry/sautee the leaves .
I think what I would do id to add the garlic to the little bit of buttery fluid in the pan with the leaves. I would just move the leaves aside a little and add the chopped garlic giving it just enough time to remove that really raw taste so that it cooks a little then Id toss it through the leaves .

Last edited by mummza (Tue 11 Dec 12 12:11am)

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 11 Dec 12 10:30am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

grazie mummza  big_smile I'll interview my cuoco Roberto aswell and add his recipe to this post ciaooo very busy with baby food run run run Grandmadamada lol

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 11 Dec 12 11:02am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

lol oh Grandmadamada don't rush too much .
I bet the bambino get the most amazing baby food in your house .

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 11 Dec 12 2:30pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Are they collard greens?  That is how it is translated and they look pretty much like collard greens.  I slice them very finely and saute quickly in olive oil with garlic.  The trick is to not cook too long over higher heat levels or they become bitter and to not boil them or they become strong .  . . but southern style is made by simmering a very long time in liquid and they then become sweet again.  I like that style when I am having it at a bbq place, but at home, I always make the quick version.

eta:  The quick saute with garlic is how they are made to accompany the Brazilian dish - feijoada.  The slow cook method from the American southern dish gets a smoky flavor from the ham:
http://www.southernliving.com/food/kitc … age14.html

Sorry, not sure if this helps with a pasta recipe! help

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 11 Dec 12 2:41pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 11 Dec 12 4:34pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

grazie ladies, I discovered I should not have cropped the plant but just take home the leaves I need, cuoco Roberto suggests to cut them into bits and boil 12 mins together with pasta, then toss both into oil and garlig you made golden and let them go just to get the savour wink
they are broccoli toscani or friulani, dark green leaves on a tall stalk, I transplanted them in my campo, after buying little plants at the market, and I must say I discover them this year oops  help ma che nonna sono????
the little one eats just what she needs then sleeps like a panda on her mamma's on the sofa big_smile

Likes (0)