Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 11 Dec 12 12:31am

chocobanana

Member since Thu 29 Nov 12

New Year's Eve Roast

I told my friends I would cook them a roast when I go to visit them in a different city. Going to stick with a peppered and garlic stuffed roast with herb spiced potatoes and buttered carrots.

Any other suggestions?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 11 Dec 12 11:14am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: New Year's Eve Roast

Welcome to the forum chocobanana  smile

I would say that what you have suggested sounds fantastic .
What type of meat are you using for the roast ?

I'm vegetarian but I cook meat for my family . So our meals always include loads of vegetables . I think green beans ( French beans) would go well with the carrots and the garlic in the meat.
They might be a nice addition to the meal.

Have you cooked in your friends oven before ?
Ovens vary greatly and  at times like New Year when everyone is cooking the power levels can be a bit reduced.
Things do not always cook the same as they do in the oven you are used to.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 11 Dec 12 12:09pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

"What type of meat are you using for the roast ? "

I was gonna ask that, lol.  Don't know why but feel it's going to be beef, in which case do not forget the Yorky puds!  Roast onions, honey roast parsnips.  Dare I suggest sprouts?  Whatever, you should include a green veg.
Can I come?

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 11 Dec 12 9:38pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I certainly would go for beef for anything related to New Year, but that's probably New Year's Day steak pie associations kicking in.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 11 Dec 12 11:43pm

chocobanana

mummza wrote:

Welcome to the forum chocobanana  smile

What type of meat are you using for the roast ?

They might be a nice addition to the meal.

Have you cooked in your friends oven before ?
Ovens vary greatly and  at times like New Year when everyone is cooking the power levels can be a bit reduced.
Things do not always cook the same as they do in the oven you are used to.

Thanks. It will be a beef roast.

Green beans are a possibility.

This will be my first time at their place actually so I have no idea what the oven will be like. I cook my roasts in a toaster oven that has a convection feature and it comes out perfect every time.

Thistledo wrote:

Dare I suggest sprouts?  Whatever, you should include a green veg.
Can I come?

I want to be able to throw everything into the pan and not have to use extra cookware other than to make gravy.

You can come if you bring dessert.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 12 Dec 12 4:04am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think you would be wise to cook some veg seperatly as well as it would vary the texture and bring a different element to the completed meal .

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 12 Dec 12 9:01am

hippytea

From Scotland

If you're cooking in an unfamiliar oven, a meat thermometer will make your life much easier. I use one of the ones with a probe and a long wire, so I can monitor the temperature all the time during cooking and adjust the temp if it's cooking too fast or too slow.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 13 Dec 12 12:34am

chocobanana

mummza wrote:

I think you would be wise to cook some veg seperatly as well as it would vary the texture and bring a different element to the completed meal.

True, it would lessen the butter and garlic flavor and add one more distinct taste to the table.

hippytea wrote:

If you're cooking in an unfamiliar oven, a meat thermometer will make your life much easier. I use one of the ones with a probe and a long wire, so I can monitor the temperature all the time during cooking and adjust the temp if it's cooking too fast or too slow.

Good advice but I just like to eyeball it and go by feel. big_smile   crossed

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 13 Dec 12 9:01am

hippytea

From Scotland

I suppose that's easier with beef because you don't have to cook it thoroughly like you do a chicken - but I'd still be scared I would ruin it. In fact, chicken is the only thing I'm confident roasting without a thermometer. I'm too chicken to try it with anything else! lol

Which cut are you using?

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 13 Dec 12 12:18pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

mummza wrote:

I think you would be wise to cook some veg seperatly as well as it would vary the texture and bring a different element to the completed meal .

Exactly.  I wouldn't throw all my eggs in one basket either.  When I make a dinner I always like to have only one, 2 max things in the oven, 2 stove top side items something made ahead of time and stored in the fridge over night and a cool crisp salad.  For Christmas I'm debating my menu to be:

- pork shoulder roast with lemon mustard gravy
- potato puree
- spiced green beans
- roasted carrots with cumin and coriander
- salad with radiccio and arugula

Likes (0)