forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 15 Dec 12 9:22pm

Sallymarkjamie

Member since Sat 15 Dec 12

We eat game but no other meat

Hi....about a year ago we stopped eating "farmed" meat (beef, pork, lamb, chicken etc). This means we mainly live on game and vegetarian meals.
We'd like to cook a venison loin for Christmas Day which should be wrapped in pancetta...which we can't eat. Does anyone have any ideas for an alternative. We also really struggle with gravy and usually end up with horrible vegetarian granules.
Thanks very much, Sally

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 15 Dec 12 11:11pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: We eat game but no other meat

just out of curiosity what kind of game do you have access to beside
venison?

Last edited by Ashen (Sat 15 Dec 12 11:14pm)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#3 Sun 16 Dec 12 2:56pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

I'm also curious.  Why only game?  Do you not have access to free-range meat in your area?

Venison, as with rabbit, needs fat to help stop the meat from drying out.  Plus a good slug of red wine. (The wine's for the venison, NOT the cook, lol.) The juices and bits left in the roasting pan can then be the basis of your gravy.  You won't need any granules.  Tried Vegimite?  Give it a googling.  If necessary you could try that for extra taste.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 16 Dec 12 11:11pm

Sallymarkjamie

Member since Sat 15 Dec 12

We have easy access to a nearby estate that sells venison, pheasant, partridge, grouse, duck and rabbit. They're all shot on the spot, nothing is herded onto a wagon and sent to slaughter, and that's our rule of thumb for what meat we'll eat.
We were once big meat eaters until saw a horrific, undercover, documentary about abattoirs. We miss our meat but what we saw had a very strong impact.
Do you think we could use the fat off a duck?

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 17 Dec 12 9:20am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I think that duck fat would work very well indeed.  You could seal the meat in the pan for the majority of the cooking time with tin foil to keep the moisture in, then remove it at the last minute to crisp the outside?

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 18 Dec 12 2:23am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: gravy, roast the meat over chopped veg (carrot, onion, celery), then at the end, take the meat off to rest and mash up the veg with a potato masher and add a bit of flour, add some liquid (e.g. red wine) and cook on the hob to thicken. Strain out the veg bits and you should have good gravy, once you've seasoned it.

If it needs a bit of help flavour-wise, I favour dark soy sauce rather than Vegemite or Marmite. All three can give a beery flavour if you overdo it, but I find the dark soy gives more depth and less beeryness, and also darkens it nicely. I usually add a few drops of dark soy to gravy even if the flavour is fine, just for looks.

If you're adding soy, Vegemite or Marmite, add it FIRST before salt! Otherwise you will end up with salty salty gravy.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 18 Dec 12 9:04pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Not much fat on a wild duck, itís been ages since I had one. Massive respect to you for eating only game. Pheasants in Devon taste amazing at the moment.
Not sure about fat outside of bacon and such, easier to add to a casserole or stew, butter or oil. Hugh Fearnly Whitingstalls River Cottage site is probably the best place for answers.
Rivercottage.net
(I think)

Likes (0)