forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 14 Dec 12 2:06pm

nata1ie

Member since Fri 14 Dec 12

English hot pot of amazing summer greens and flacked gammon...

Hi everyone!

I am cooking this recipe of Jamie's later today (details pasted below).

I have cooked it before using a 2kg gammon joint, however i could only get my hands on a 1.4kg joint today.

Would i still need to cook it for 1 1/2 hours before adding the veg?? Common sense is telling me to reduce the cooking time but i'm just not sure by how much.

I absolutely LOVE this recipe and enjoy eating it so much so would hate to ruin it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Put your gammon into a large deep pot, cover with water and place over a medium heat. As soon as the water comes to the boil, drain the gammon and discard the water this will get rid of any excess salt in the meat. Tie the bay, thyme and parsley stalks together in a little bunch.

Put the gammon back into the pot with the herb bunch and peppercorns. Cover with enough water to submerge the gammon. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer very gently for around 1 hours. Add the carrots, fennel, shallots, celery, potatoes and turnips to the pot, season and bring back to the boil. Simmer for about 45 minutes until cooked.

Remove the gammon and vegetables from the pot using a long pair of tongs or a slotted spoon and keep to one side in a large deep warm dish while you cook the greens. Add the shredded greens and broccoli to the pot and bring the stock back to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes until tender.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 14 Dec 12 4:58pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: English hot pot of amazing summer greens and flacked gammon...

If I were you I wouldn't reduce the cooking time by much. I don't think boiling time is as closely related to weight as we usually assume - more to do with surface area and smallest diameter, I reckon - and if you cook it a little longer, it's only going to make it flakier, which is a good thing.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 14 Dec 12 6:41pm

nata1ie

Member since Fri 14 Dec 12

that's great - thank you for the response smile

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 18 Dec 12 2:26am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

The other thing to add is that you can check how it is coming along by sticking a fork in it and twisting to see if it flakes easily.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 18 Dec 12 8:28am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum Nata1ie  smile

I was going to say that it sounds a very good recipe as its not easy to spoil at all .
As the ham is being simmered like this it won't spoil and it won't get dry.
I use a  knife or pronged a carving fork  to see how the ham is cooking when I simmer  a ham joint.
I usually go in the feel of the meat and the resistance it gets when it is pressed into the meat .

When I cook the Christmas ham joint I often seem to leave it simmering far longer than is needed and it never spoils , so just follow your instincts and I'm sure it will turn out just fine. O

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 18 Dec 12 11:58am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

with all those abouts and around qualifiers on the times in the method,  I can't see  half a kilo or so less  changing  the finished product  quality noticeably.  I personally would just go about it as per normal .

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)