forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 13 Dec 12 10:47pm

KitchenWench

Occupation Usually a hazard ;-)
From Surrey and Germany
Member since Sun 28 Jan 07

Jamie and Jimmy's Food Fight

Just watching the programme about "Hermann the German and Deutsche Wurst".  We have a house in Germany and spend 6 months of the year out there.  We absolutely love the British Banger, Cumberland, Lincolnshire, "Corp Jones' 1940's recipe" etc.... but you really struggle to beat the German "Curry Wurst". Jamie if you ever want to come out again, for a very low key break, you'd be very welcome to stay with us and I'd cook for you to give you a break.  We'd even give you a thrill round the Nurbrugring as that's our playground ;-)   I love your Christmas programmes too.

KitchenWench xx thumbsup

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 13 Dec 12 11:22pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Jamie and Jimmy's Food Fight

What suprised me about the curry wurst was the raw curry powder that was scattered liberally over the top of the dish.

This was a great episode and I spent most of the show laughing , I am so looking forward to next weeks show.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 14 Dec 12 9:11am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I've been to Germany twice. On neither occasion would Mr. Hippytea let me try currywurst. He seems to think it's not sensible for someone with chronic heartburn to venture such a dish. I can't imagine what he means...

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 14 Dec 12 11:29am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hush you lot!  I've recorded this programme and yet to view it, lol. wink

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 14 Dec 12 1:43pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Sorry Thistledo , we haven't given too much away (and it could do with watching twice ), I laughed a lot .

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 19 Dec 12 1:56pm

KitchenWench

Occupation Usually a hazard ;-)
From Surrey and Germany
Member since Sun 28 Jan 07

To be honest, the curry powder they put on at the end, isn't very strong. The Germans don't really do what you'd call "Mega Hot".  Our neighbours are pretty light weight on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hotest, they're still roughly at 3.  They love to come round and try the things we eat (I can only go Madras, my hubby goes Phall, when he feels like blowing his brains). I don't really get the very hot, burn your insides type curry. I love full of flavour.

As for curry and heartburn, have rhaita (yoghurt) on the side and take regular sips of water and that should keep the heartburn under control especially if it's not too spicy.

Kw xx

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 19 Dec 12 3:29pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Oddly enough, I have no problem with chilli on its own. But combine chilli with grease and it's a killer for me. I can eat as much home made curry as I want, and when I visited South India, where they cook in a pretty lean way, I had no problem with their GORGEOUS food (apart from the searing heat! Yow!), but if I go out for an Indian meal here, I always pay the price afterwards. Most UK Indian restaurants seem to add buckets of grease to everything.

I still love it, though.

Likes (0)