forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#601 Tue 18 Dec 12 6:50pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Ask me a cooking question

How do you make cauliflower into a steak? Do you chop it and push it back together as a sort of burger type thing? If so, what do you bind it with and do you use a coating?

Likes (0)

#602 Wed 19 Dec 12 11:44am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

hippytea wrote:

How do you make cauliflower into a steak? Do you chop it and push it back together as a sort of burger type thing? If so, what do you bind it with and do you use a coating?

you cut it so it looks something like this.
http://www.burntcarrots.com/wp-content/ … k-Pic2.jpg

you roast it hot and then brush on the glaze  a few minutes before the end of cooking. .  As long as you like cauliflower it is a pretty easy , but somewhat  unusual side.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#603 Wed 19 Dec 12 6:52pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

A gadget question please.  Anyone possess a Tefal Actifry frier?  If so, your comments please and its capabilities.
Ta, in anticipation.

Likes (0)

#604 Thu 20 Dec 12 1:54am

cmcconnell1031

Member since Thu 20 Dec 12

I have looked everywhere from Cranberry Jam, for Turkey Wellington, where do I get it???  Can I use Cranberry Sauce or Jelly???

Thanks
Carole

Likes (0)

#605 Thu 20 Dec 12 7:51am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

cmcconnell1031.  Never seen cranberry 'jam', as such.  Cranberry Sauce is the one to look for.  You should find it in your supermarket with other sauces.  Happy hunting.  Oh and welcome to the forum.

Likes (0)

#606 Thu 20 Dec 12 8:31am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

I've seen a recipe using Bitter Gourd (Bitter Melon or Karela) and one of the ingredients is Asafoetida (Hing). Can anyone that has had experience with it, tell me about it and a possible substitute?
Thanks. crossed

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#607 Thu 20 Dec 12 8:41am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I don't think there's any substitute for asafoetida. It's one of the spices used in curry mixes and it has a very distinct flavour. If you can't get it, you'll probably just have to leave it out. But it would be worth trying to find it - if you can't find it in supermarkets, try an Asian shop or supermarket if you have one near you.

Likes (0)

#608 Thu 20 Dec 12 9:06am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

I do most of my spice shopping in Asian shops. My guys are legends, and really helpful. I don't remember seeing that spice though. Will check them out though as I'm seeing them later as I need to make stock. They don't mind hacking a chicken into small bits for me.
Cheers mate.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#609 Thu 20 Dec 12 11:08am

macca58

Member since Sun 12 Dec 10

Hi Jamie, I have an Australian question. When you say to rest the Christmas turkey for 2 hours, that sounds fine in England where it's cold but it is really ok to leave a turkey on the bench for 2 hours in Australia in summer??
Thanks for your shows and books,
have a Merry Christmas,
Fiona xx

Likes (0)

#610 Thu 20 Dec 12 4:13pm

anitataylor

Member since Sat 12 Dec 09

I cook my Turkey following Jamie's recipe cooking it on a trivet of vegetables and the giblets, then mashing the veg etc after the turkey has cooked to make the gravy, but this year I can't find where I put the recipe and can't find it on Channel 4OD.  It seems all the recipes for gravy are his 'get ahead' one with using chicken wings.  I also liked this episode as he showed us how to carve the turkey by removing the breast whole, which I have seen him do since, but I still want to watch the episode regarding the gravy!! I think it would be about 2006? Any ideas on how to get this please?

Likes (0)