Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 23 Dec 12 6:41pm

hollyanne200

Member since Sun 23 Dec 12

Newbie and a question for experienced cooks :)

Hi everyone.
Just thought I'd show my face. I look forward to getting to know as many of you as possible. Now, being 24, I'm a young and adventurous cook, but being a student am definitely strapped for cash. I am looking to start my collection of pots and pans and am looking for any advice anyone can give me on necessities. So far, I haven't tried cooking a lot of things, one thing I do know is that I love cooking casseroles, so a nice casserole dish is a must for me. Any reccommendations? I quite like the look of the casserole/saucepan things, the pans that are deeper than frying pans but not as deep as a large casserole dish.
Any advice on places to buy, types of things essential for a new cook would be great.
Lastly, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and good luck with the turkeys!  lol

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 23 Dec 12 7:10pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Newbie and a question for experienced cooks :)

Shop discount stores. They can have good quality items for cheaper prices. Only buy what you need and don't be "dazzled" by specialty pieces.  I've cooked for years and still have a small collection of pots and pans. Quality over quantity.  Multi-use items are a must.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 23 Dec 12 7:20pm

hollyanne200

I think that will be my problem lol. Is there anything type of thing you'd recommend? I've seen copper pans and those with copper bottoms. I really don't mind paying more for something that will last. I also have a hallogen cooker.
Thanks for any advice. And Merry Christmas!

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 23 Dec 12 7:33pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

I don't have any copper, and I can't say they are good or not. I have Calphalon. It's anodized aluminum.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 23 Dec 12 7:59pm

hollyanne200

Thanks for the advice smile

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 23 Dec 12 8:41pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum hollyanne200  smile

Do you live in the UK ?
Keep an eye on stores like TKMax and Homesense ( sister store to TKMax but just things for home and no clothes ) .they have decent quality of pans at a reasonable price .
Look for pans with a heavier base and read on the lable what sort or power they are recommended for .

With nonstick .. It's useful to have a small non stick sauce pan for scrambled egg is a good idea .
A non stick heavyish base  fry pan is also worth buying . Avoid cheap frying pans they are just false economy.
Don't use metal utensils with non- stick cookware . 

Unless you are desperate for things to match , them just buy what you see as you can afford it.
If your in a shared student house then bear in mind flat mates don't always look after things as you would .

My pans are mostly stainless steel , they have a thick base and have given me many years of service , cooking daily for a family and lately just for myself and my darling ( apart from when all the family retern!)

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 23 Dec 12 8:46pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

I wonder if TKMax and Homsense are in the same family as our TJMax and HomeGoods stores. I shop those a lot. Same thing..TJMax is clothes, shoes, home goods etc and HomeGoods is just household items...

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 23 Dec 12 8:53pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hollyanne200, hi and welcome.  Have you thought of a wok?  They're used for stir frys, which are ideal for students because they're quick and loose less heat.  The list of stir frys you could do is endless.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 24 Dec 12 8:03am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Hallogen cooker sounds interesting. If that is the only heat source you may want to check the manufacturers site for cooking vessel compatibility.

When I think casserole I always picture a dutch oven filled with something yummy.
When I think cast iron dutch oven Le Creuset is the first thing that comes to mind.
http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/ … ;langId=-1

BUT! You don't need to shell out that much cash. If coated cast iron is dropped it will most likely be tragic! Uncoated (not enameled) cast iron however is gold. Properly seasoned it's as non stick as non stick can be. And it's cheap....er.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Informat … onPans.htm

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 24 Dec 12 8:46am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

I have a halogen hob as well, my advice would be good quality stainless steel pans, minimum 4mm encapsulated base, preferably 6mm, also make sure the handles are hollow and ventilated... These can go straight from the Hob to the oven when required.
As above keep your eye out in TK Maxx or the equivalent as there are bargains to be had..
Oh and don't be tempted to go for glass lids, unless you like a set of saucepans that you only have broken lids for...

Likes (0)