forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 31 Dec 12 7:16pm

Halesowenmum

Occupation Boring poorly-paying admin role
From West Midlands
Member since Sun 30 Dec 12

Re: Has anyone tried Jamie's stuffing under the skin roast turkey recipe?

Thank you Wine~o ha ha!! Ah, it brings a tear to me eye it really does! You sing so beautifully!!

And have no fear mummza, the 'kids' are 10 and 13 and have eaten themselves stupid on everything else - I fear not for their health or potential wilting away. Sometimes cooking 'posh' is like casting pearls before swine!! A bit hit and miss (although my son will have no trouble scoffing a ton of smoked salmon with me tomorrow I'm quite sure lol!!). I did force the little blighters to try the stuffing but, hey, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink!! Dear daughter has probably eaten a half a red cabbage's worth of spiced red cabbage so I'm sure she's got her vitamin c today!!!!

big_smile

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 31 Dec 12 7:32pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

haha that sounds a bit like my 4 at times , looks ike they eat well and try all sorts.
I forgot to cook the red cabbage for Christmas dinner, something that was instantly spotted !
Ths was mainly as I had trouble cutting it and needed help but at the key time I had got distracte and forgot to ask then forgot the cabbage !
Anyway it was menioned plenty over the past few days and so was cooked and eaten yesterday with some pulled pork .

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 31 Dec 12 8:08pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Red cabbage..... puke  puke

Gimme creamed parsnips, sprouts..green beans...green cabbage..carrot and swede mash...more sprouts...roasties...sprouts..did I mention sprouts????

Oh...ansd sone creamed parsnip...just to take away rthe taste of the spouts....

oh sh  it..I shouldnt ty to celebate new year in evry time zonez.

Last edited by wine~o (Mon 31 Dec 12 8:09pm)

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 31 Dec 12 11:39pm

Halesowenmum

From West Midlands

What are you doing, flying round the world or something Wine~o?! Glad to see you like your veggies. You'll grow big and strong.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 01 Jan 13 3:02pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

I'm 50 and already big....if not that strong..

I (Foolishly) decided to see the New Year in with a drink for every time zone, so started at 11am our time yesterday...by 9pm I fell into a stupor, woke at 11pm and started again.... before giving up after midnight...  yawn

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 01 Jan 13 3:14pm

Halesowenmum

From West Midlands

Well done for surviving! Roll on the rest of this year.

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 02 Jan 13 2:04am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

wine~o wrote:

I'm 50 and already big....if not that strong..

I (Foolishly) decided to see the New Year in with a drink for every time zone, so started at 11am our time yesterday...by 9pm I fell into a stupor, woke at 11pm and started again.... before giving up after midnight...  yawn

that is crazy Wine`o the is something like 40 timezones isn't there?      even 1 oz per would be a feat.  big_smile

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#18 Wed 02 Jan 13 3:48pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Halesowenmum wrote:

Thanks one and all. It did indeed work well. I used the meat from some cumberland sausages, onion, sage, thyme, zest of four lemons and lardons. It was lovely. BUT, the kids wouldn't touch it (philistines..) so putting it directly under the skin was a bit of a waste although I thought that the meat then stuffing then skin then crispy bacon, was absolutely lovely!!

I think though, on balance, I prefer just stuffing lots of herbs and butter under the skin.

Anyway, I've just had me lunch and I'm totally totally stuffed (topical eh) and must now sit and watch The Sound of Music to try and recover. I smell like a ball of grease (one of the only things I hate about cooking - smelling like what I've just made!!).  roll  smile

Thanks for getting back to us with the results.  I'm going to try this, even though I always cook a turkey breast, not the whole bird, but I like the idea of adding the flavor to the breast meat and I think any stuffing cooked with the bird flavors the pan juices.  I put a big heap of stuffing under the turkey breast and hold it there with foil.  I would not stuff a whole bird cavity these days because of all the food safety issues, but it's not a problem with the turkey breast, I don't think.  In fact, it's never taken any longer stuffing the breast my way, seems to cook through so evenly and perfectly every time.

Likes (0)