Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#671 Tue 15 Jan 13 7:25pm

Thistledo

Member
Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Accurately boiled rice.
In JO's 30-minute meal series he demonstrated how he does boiled rice without bringing a pan of water to the boil, adding the rice leave to simmer for about 12 mins.  Does anyone have that recipe, ie how much water to rice, please?

    Likes (0)

#672 Tue 15 Jan 13 8:13pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Thistledo..I'm fairly certain it was was "cup for cup" equal quantities by volume of rice and water..

    Likes (0)

#673 Tue 15 Jan 13 8:22pm

Thistledo

Member
Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Ta muchly.  Actually, I've just done a Google on Tilda basmati rice and it's all there.
Appreciated, thanks.

    Likes (0)

#674 Tue 15 Jan 13 8:28pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Thistledo wrote:

Accurately boiled rice.
In JO's 30-minute meal series he demonstrated how he does boiled rice without bringing a pan of water to the boil, adding the rice leave to simmer for about 12 mins.  Does anyone have that recipe, ie how much water to rice, please?

Was that the jasmine rice?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ … atter.html

JASMINE RICE: Put a medium saucepan on a medium heat. Add the mug of rice, a pinch of salt, a splash of olive oil, the 2 jasmine teabags or flower, and cover with 2 mugs of boiling water (use the same mug you used for the rice).
Cover and cook for 7 minutes, then take off the heat and leave to steam with the lid on for 7 minutes.

    Likes (0)

#675 Wed 16 Jan 13 7:47am

Thistledo

Member
Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Kye, nope, just the plain Tilda basmati rice and thanks for your input, although it's not from JO's 30-minute Meals.  Don't fancy jasmine with a red hot beef curry.  Seems to me that your method is no quicker than just using the conventional method of bringing a pan of salted water to the boil, throwing the rice in and wait for the rice to be cooked.  Thanks anyway.

    Likes (0)

#676 Thu 17 Jan 13 10:16pm

mile.stojanovski

Member
Member since Thu 17 Jan 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

hi jaime.i want to ask you something.I heard that your food is having much calories than industric food.is that a ture ?

Last edited by mile.stojanovski (Thu 17 Jan 13 10:17pm)

    Likes (0)

#677 Thu 17 Jan 13 11:31pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Thistledo wrote:

Kye, nope, just the plain Tilda basmati rice and thanks for your input, although it's not from JO's 30-minute Meals.  Don't fancy jasmine with a red hot beef curry.  Seems to me that your method is no quicker than just using the conventional method of bringing a pan of salted water to the boil, throwing the rice in and wait for the rice to be cooked.  Thanks anyway.

I couldn't know that you were making a 'red hot beef curry' perhaps i missed something.

I totally dislike jasmine rice, found the site thinking perhaps it was what you were searching for...
I usually use basmatti in my rice cooker.
Otherwise i add rice to boiling water, add a very little salt, before it is cooked i take the pan off the heat, get rid of almost all the liquid and cover to allow the rice to steam....theres not many secrets to cooking rice, i wonder what you mean by conventional...?

Last edited by Kye (Fri 18 Jan 13 4:22pm)

    Likes (0)

#678 Fri 18 Jan 13 7:06am

Thistledo

Member
Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hiya Kye.  I just asked for the method of cooking rice (in my case Basmati) the Jamie way;  rice to enough water so that at the end of the cooking time all the water is absorbed, without having to pour the lot into a collander for draining, which is the 'conventional ' way.  I didn't mention jasmine flavour.
I bring already salted water to the boil before adding the rice, incidentally.

    Likes (0)

#679 Sat 19 Jan 13 10:51am

Lavy Garcia

Member
Member since Thu 17 Jan 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

I also want the answer of that question even I am also experiencing like this and want to make crispy and juicy chicken that make me appreciable.Any kind of suggestions from your side would be good.for me.

    Likes (0)

#680 Sat 19 Jan 13 11:13am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Thistledo wrote:

Hiya Kye.  I just asked for the method of cooking rice (in my case Basmati) the Jamie way;  rice to enough water so that at the end of the cooking time all the water is absorbed, without having to pour the lot into a collander for draining, which is the 'conventional ' way.  I didn't mention jasmine flavour.
I bring already salted water to the boil before adding the rice, incidentally.

Jamie's way is 1 measure of rice to 2 (same) measures of boiling water, bung a lid on and cook.

I now use a rice cooker most of the time but before that I did the following:

Desired amount of rice to pot, add tap water to level of first (clean) index finger above rice. Cook. Water absorbed. I left lid off.

Hope this helps.


"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

Powered by PunBB.