Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 04 Jan 13 3:40pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

pork enchiladas

I have some pork loin steaks and for a change to chicken or steak i would like to use them as the meat part filling for Enchiladas. As they are so tender I was wondering if anyone else has used them for Enchiladas in the past and if they turned out OK...
think

Last edited by joobes (Fri 04 Jan 13 3:48pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 04 Jan 13 3:50pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: pork enchiladas

Can't say I have, your only problem is likely to be overcooking/drying out as they are so lean...so long as you cook them quickly...i'm sure they'll be fine...

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 04 Jan 13 3:59pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Thats what i thought, they will be cooked with peppers, mushrooms and cheese plus a sauce before wrapping up with more sauce on top and a sprinkling of cheese then in the oven for about 20mins

Last edited by joobes (Fri 04 Jan 13 4:15pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 04 Jan 13 4:36pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I use lean pork a lot cut up into a sauce, soup, etc. and just am careful to add it last and not boil it.  It has a lot of moisture and so do your other ingredients.  Since enchiladas are basically only going in the oven to heat  through and melt the cheese, it shouldn't be a problem.  Sounds delicious.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 04 Jan 13 4:48pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Cool, thanks everyone....  big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 04 Jan 13 10:36pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I've never done enchiladas, but if it helps, my favourite way to cook pork loin chops is to sear them first, set them aside to rest while I make a gravy or sauce in the same pan, then bake them in the gravy/sauce for 30min in a moderate oven. They end up nice and tender and flavoursome (far better than just frying, as I find they tend to dry out before they are fully cooked at the bone).

So if you sear your pork first, then add to the sauce etc., wrap and bake for 30min, I think you should get a similar result to my pork chops. I wouldn't be inclined to cook in the sauce right away, but to sear them, set them aside to rest while you make the sauce in the same pan (so you get the crusty bits) and add the chops to the sauce just before wrapping and baking.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 04 Jan 13 10:52pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I agree hippytea!  I'm a poet and I don't know it.

Likes (0)