forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 30 Dec 12 11:10pm

Tablier

Occupation Account manager
From London
Member since Sun 30 Dec 12

Smoking salmon in a wok

Hi all, this is my post first post and i was wondering if someone could tip me on how to smoke a salmon in a wok. The recipe says line wok with foil and place rice and leaves on the foil to smoke the salmon. How do ou prevent carbon from forming on the base of the wok during the smoking process please? Thank you.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 31 Dec 12 11:03am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Smoking salmon in a wok

Surely if it's lined with foil it won't get sooty (carbon)?

However, I would be concerned about using a wok "dry" like this, as it may damage the non-stick coating on a non-stick wok, or burn the seasoning off an oil-seasoned one. You might get away with it on a really low heat.

Where's the recipe from? Is this a traditional Chinese/Japanese thing to do?

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 01 Jan 13 8:19pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

I have also seen this on T.V. same concerns as hippytea. I would be inclined to use non coated Carbon Steel. I intend to tea smoke this year, more likely Mackerel. Please post any results on forums page.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 01 Jan 13 8:33pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Yes, if you do it I'd be interested to know how you get on.

My other worry with hot-smoking at home is that there will be smoke everywhere! I've been wanting to try it out myself, but will probably do it outside.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 02 Jan 13 9:37pm

Tablier

Occupation Account manager
From London
Member since Sun 30 Dec 12

Hi both, this is a 150 perfect wok recipes (book bought at John Lewis.
we used a non-stick coated wok (the old one though!) and lined some foil, put the green leaves and rice and a rack with the salmon on it. The lid is not supposed to be lifted so if the lid is tight enough, you can get away with not too much smoke but in general, it was acceptable. The instruction are: heat the wok until the smoke escape from it, then remove the lid and sit the sdalmon on the rack. Replace the lid and cook for 2 min., then reduce heat to medium and cook for a further 4 min.. Turn heast off and let the salmon sitin the wok for a further 6 min. whi;le you prepare the suace.Sauce= lemon juice with parsley in a mayo. It was really nice. we struggle fingin green tea leaves but a chinese shop in china town finally had what we needed...We just got a Thermomix btw! it seems like an amazing machine...

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 02 Jan 13 10:57pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

Sounds cool Tablier. Well done.
I bought a portable cooker for £12; it has served me very well. Anything Smokey, outside on the cooker. Brownig meat.Gorilla cooking in London, Barbecoa steaks x 4 £7, compare that with the sit down menu.
I had a nice steak in Barbecoa  when I did sit down, the most amazing duck fat chips.
Ginger Pig this time, who supply Hawksmoor. We are skint at the moment, so this cooker is again the answer.
Thermomix btw  let us know how good it is, it looks like it does a lot.
Back to smoking.Anyone trying different fuel for smoking do put it on this post. Heston does Lapsang Souchong smoked Salmon, in Waitrose, it’s very nice, especially in scrambled egg.
London has a shop called Japan Centre, Lower Regent Street, or there about. I dare say they may have some cool teas for this.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 03 Jan 13 10:58am

hippytea

From Scotland

If you are tea-smoking, I take it you need loose tea leaves? I'm a great one for just cutting open a tea bag when faced with recipes that require loose tea (e.g. masala chai), but the fine powdered leaves might just burn, I suppose.

Last edited by hippytea (Thu 03 Jan 13 10:59am)

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 06 Jan 13 9:28pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

Some info off the net
Tea-smoking basics. In addition to the flavorings you choose—star anise, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, five-spice powder and citrus zest are all good options—there are three key ingredients for tea-smoking. Loose tea leaves add their own fragrance to the aromatic smoke; you can use various teas which will all provide their own variations, but any black tea will be successful. Brown sugar acts as a coloring agent, according to Danhi, giving food “a rich amber color and a hint of sweetness.” Uncooked rice serves as the fuel source in the packet, keeping the other ingredients smoking while on the grill.
http://www.blue-kitchen.com/2010/08/25/ … n-flavors/

http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipe … dfish2.htm
(with dry cure before smoke)
Next weekend I hope. I need a lid for my wok, I am almost sure it did not come with one.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 06 Jan 13 9:33pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

More from the net, smoking prawn sounds good, I saw Jamie bucket smoke Prawn and trout once.
Tip: Don’t use tea from a tea bag here; bagged tea tends to be finer and more powdery than loose tea and can lead to burning, not smoking.
Tip:
• Be sure to thoroughly clean the wok before setting it up for smoking so there are no stuck-on bits of food that could burn.
• If you smoke your food for too long, it can develop a bitter flavor.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/tea- … mango.aspx

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Sun 06 Jan 13 9:34pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 18 Jan 13 10:32pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

First test today, hmmm.
I used sugar, tea, rice. Our trout fillets tasted of burnt sugar or similar, something bitter, that’s for sure. I am not sure what I did wrong. The trout was cold; I would have preferred it hot. I am now trawling the net for answers.
The bottom of , the wok had a burnt sugar mess at the bottom. The foil was a good idea.

Likes (0)