forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 06 Jan 13 11:08pm

clionasharkey

Member since Sun 06 Jan 13

soggy/crumbly flapjacks...

Hi there,

how can I make my flapjacks hold together and be crunchier rather than too moist??

Thanks! big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 07 Jan 13 1:56pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: soggy/crumbly flapjacks...

I don't know what you mean by crunchier.  Flapjacks, or pancakes as we call them here in the northeast US are supposed to be fluffy and soft.  I myself prefer my flap jacks to have a bit of crispness on the edges and I like them much thinner so I make a looser batter, more like a crepe batter.  Also, you need plenty of butter in the pan so that they crisp up more.  Less baking soda so that they don't fluff up too much.  Does that help?

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 07 Jan 13 2:46pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Koukouvagia , Brisish flap jacks are made from rolled oats , sugar , golden syrup ( golden treacle?) and butter .
They are baked in the oven .
I think they are different forum American flapjacks which are more like pancakes .

Clionasharkey , welcome to the forum  smile

What recipe did you use ?
There could be a few problems , starting with the bake ... The oven might be at the wrong heat or the flapjacks might not have been baked for long enough , maybe they just need a few more minutes I the oven.
Or they might simply need just a bit more sugar or syrup .

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 07 Jan 13 6:31pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Could always put some hot custard over them and eat as a dessert.  Remember our school made gorgeous flapjacks which was served with the usual watery custard.  Mind you I am going way back here.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 07 Jan 13 6:40pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

haha .. we had cheap bought swiss  roll with custard

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 07 Jan 13 6:49pm

xanderlee

Member since Fri 11 Jun 10

The trick is to press them down firmly, put them into a nice hot oven (200 0c) until browned then when they come out you need to press them down firmly again with the back of a spoon as soon as they come out!  You also mark them at this stage so they break apart easily.  I always cook mine on greasproof paper so I can get them out of the tin quite quickly which stops them becoming mushy.

I had a flapjack disaster yesterday: I was tired and didn't use enough butter so once baked I just melted some butter and crushed the flapjacks into it.  Pressed them down into a lined tray and put into the fridge to cool down cheesecake base stylee.  Once cooled, I put a layer of raisins and almonds in and topped with melted chocolate.  My own luxury breakfast bars lol. xxxxx No mistakes in cookery: just happy discoveries ;-) big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 08 Jan 13 12:52am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I have never really pressed the flapjacks down in the tin myself , all I do is melt the syrup and butter and combine it with the oats and  sugar , I tip it into a lined tin and level it with the back of a spoon to smooth it out .
I bake it and then after its come out of the oven I wait a few minutes then mark out the portions by pressing the knife rather than cutting through fully

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 08 Jan 13 12:41pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

mummza wrote:

Koukouvagia , Brisish flap jacks are made from rolled oats , sugar , golden syrup ( golden treacle?) and butter .
They are baked in the oven .

I think they are different forum American flapjacks which are more like pancakes .

Oh... oops sorry.  Didn't know that.

In the US flapjacks, griddle cakes, battercakes, hotcakes and pancakes are all the same thing.  They have different names depending on which part of the country you're in.  In NY they're called pancakes, in Philadelphia they're called hotcakes.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 09 Jan 13 10:18am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I had no idea flapjacks meant pancakes in the US! You learn a new thing every day.

Couldn't help joining in the school dinner dessert nostalgia. We had iced gingerbread with custard over it. The custard would make the icing melt... mmm...

Sometimes the custard was pink. I have no idea why.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 09 Jan 13 4:01pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I know its interesting how different things are caled different names depending n where you live.

Hippytea, the pink custard was probably blamange similar to custard but it was usually set in a dish before it was served but it was also eaten hot like custard.

Likes (0)