Subscribe to forums RSS

#691 Thu 24 Jan 13 11:42am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

How did I know you were going to ask me that Henry  big_smile
I can't help with quantities as it's been years since I made one.  Half suet to flour, (I put a good pinch of powdered mustard in this) and mix with minimal amount of water.  Roll to a rectangle.  You'll need to judge what pan you'll be boiling it in as to the size of the rectangle.  Chopped back bacon (or lean) spread over the pastry then chopped sage.  Small amount of white or black pepper.  Roll up carfefully, damping one of end of the narrowest part of the pastry.  Roll from the other end.  Gently squeeze in each end to seal.  Wrap in greaseproof paper or baking parchment, then wrap in a pudding cloth.  Tie a couple of times, not too tightly.  Boil for about an hour.  Very tasty and if there's any leftover, fry slices for tomorrow.  Serve with a cheese, or parsley sauce.
Feeling I need to make one now  yummy

Likes (0)

#692 Fri 25 Jan 13 1:52am

roconjaz

Member since Fri 25 Jan 13

hello jamie

wonder if u make sourdough i like spelt and rye but never really turns out like bought sourdough .............if so can u do a how to.

thanks wendy

Likes (0)

#693 Fri 25 Jan 13 8:56am

roman.frajsladoljev

Member since Sun 20 Jan 13

So i there a chicken pie recipe, it is a sauce with chicken and vegetables, and on the top goes puff pastry.

Likes (0)

#694 Fri 25 Jan 13 10:25am

victor.vandort.353

I make a quite simple yet delicious maple glazed ham. My friends have tried it and now they want to come over for dinner! Previously I've only used it as part of a buffet, but now I'm going to have to do a sit-down meal. I'm struggling with my side dishes though. I'm thinking grilled asparagus, a red onion marmalade, pickled red cabbage, and ideally I'd like new potatoes..... but what herbs would work well with the potatoes that wouldn't be strange with the maple ham?

Many thanks

Likes (0)

#695 Fri 25 Jan 13 11:31am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Do you think you need herbs with the new potatoes?  With the onion marmalade and pickled red cabbage, you have plenty of flavours going on there.  Would be nice to just serve up slightly buttery potatoes as a contrast.

Likes (0)

#696 Fri 25 Jan 13 3:11pm

victor.vandort.353

Thistledo wrote:

Do you think you need herbs with the new potatoes?  With the onion marmalade and pickled red cabbage, you have plenty of flavours going on there.  Would be nice to just serve up slightly buttery potatoes as a contrast.

You do have an excellent point! I'll certainly ponder that. Many thanks!

Likes (0)

#697 Fri 25 Jan 13 3:43pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

victor.vandort.353 wrote:

Thistledo wrote:

You do have an excellent point! I'll certainly ponder that. Many thanks!

Agree with Thistledo. You don't want flavour-confusion. Parsley at the most, I'd say.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#698 Fri 25 Jan 13 3:48pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Flat leaf or curly ??? wink

Likes (0)

#699 Fri 25 Jan 13 3:48pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Reported for multiple crimes in the name of spam, Dolozpsy.

Likes (0)

#700 Fri 25 Jan 13 3:50pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Flat leaf.

Good luck  crossed

Last edited by Maree (Fri 25 Jan 13 3:51pm)

Likes (0)