Subscribe to forums RSS

#711 Tue 08 Jan 13 5:21am

Busybron

Occupation Part time PA/Secretary
From Gold Coast - Australia
Member since Wed 01 Jun 11

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hello Jamie and crew

My family and I have made 2013 our year of BETTER.  Living better, eating better and trying new things. Life is too short!

With this in mind we all went off to an Indian restaurant on the weekend (neither my husband or son have every eaten at one) to try something new.

Although they found the Butter Chicken too spicy, they liked a dish which was titled "Beef Curry". Not Madras, Balti or anything else, just called Beef Curry (As it was at the top of the menu, I think it was put there to avoid confusion for newbies).  It was a runny dark brown gravy style curry, not spicy or hot.  I was wondering if you could suggest a recipe that would be similiar that I could try at home.

I have made several dishes from both the 30 min and 15 min books and have adapted things as needed.  You used the Jalfreezie paste in the 30 min book, and unfortunately in Australia we can't seem to get it in in Pataks range.  So I swapped it for Balti - they liked it!   The REALLY good thing is that both my hubby and son see how hard I try when creating these dishes - neither of them are game enough not to try it.

Your suggestion for the mild brown gravy style Beef Curry would be appreciated (even a Pataks or Sharwood paste that may be suitable?).

Many thanks, love your books and shows!!
Much appreciated.

Bronwyn
smile

Last edited by Busybron (Tue 08 Jan 13 5:32am)

Likes (0)

#712 Tue 08 Jan 13 9:57am

cody-wy

Member since Tue 08 Jan 13

Jamie Hee!
We can not be good English so excuse.
But what is written on the Internet about your recipes is complete nonsense.
We are all delicious!!
The decisive factor is probably how the ingredients were grown. And if you are organically grown, the food is always better than the industry.
Greetings from Germany
Marion and Ralf

Likes (0)

#713 Tue 08 Jan 13 10:33am

alexander95

Jamie,
what are your top tips (not recipes) for simple dinner parties????

Likes (0)

#714 Tue 08 Jan 13 11:11am

lizanel

Hey Jamie,

Can I request some recipes for pregnant women please? I love cooking, but now that Im pregnant its really hard because I have to keep checking if Im allowed to eat all the ingredients. I know your wife has been through it herself and was hoping you could give us some healthy recipes from your experience with her. And if you feel inspired, please write a recipe book for pregnancy!

Cheers!

Likes (0)

#715 Tue 08 Jan 13 11:28pm

pmf13

Hi Jamie,

I will be making your roast lamb shoulder with smashed veg for guests and have one question. Rather than the bone-in roast you use in the recipe I have a boneless rolled lamb shoulder of about 2 kg. How will the cooking temperature and time change because of that?

Thanks,
Peter

Likes (0)

#716 Thu 10 Jan 13 3:37am

chezlauren98

Member since Thu 10 Jan 13

Hi guys, i'm fourteen and am cooking a meal for my family this weekend. I am really stuck on what to make. Has anyone got any quick and delicious ideas? Thank you!

Likes (0)

#717 Thu 10 Jan 13 8:46am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Where to start, cheslaufren98?!  We don't know anything about your present cooking skills but I'm thinking you would like to prepare something simple.  Don't know where you are in the world either;  it makes a difference.
For a start, I'm actually cooking venison sausages braised in red wine.  It's simple and suspect extremely tasty.  I shall serve this with mashed potatoes and perhaps a green veg.  This recipe is with compiments of Delia Smith (sorry Jamie - ya can't win 'em all  wink

If you could be more specific in what type of meal you would like to cook, it would help and give us some clues as to your expertise.

You're very young and it's very encouraging to hear of your interest in cooking for the family.  Well done and good luck.  Come back if you want further advice.

Likes (0)

#718 Thu 10 Jan 13 11:02am

Danniellejaayne

I need help. My Mum has recently become gluten and lactose intolerant. She's lost so much weight (roughly 15kg) as a result she is now underweight. I would love to know of gluten and lactose free recipes that are 1. Tasty and 2. Could help her gain some weight. She works 13 hour days so preferably something quick and easy. Thank you xx

Likes (0)

#719 Thu 10 Jan 13 11:04am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

chezlauren98: here's an idea.

Put a tin of tomatoes in an oven dish. Season with salt, pepper and sugar, and add some crushed garlic if you like.

Get some chicken breasts or thighs with the skin on and sit them in the tomatoes so that the skin is facing up. Rub a little oil on the skins and sprinkle with salt.

Bake in a hot oven (220C/450F) for 20-30 minutes. When it's done, the skin will be brown and bubbly and the chicken will be the same colour all the way through - cut one open to check.*

Serve with rice, pasta or boiled potatoes and a green vegetable like peas or green beans, or a green salad (just because it looks good).

That's a favourite simple meal for when I want to look like I'm being fancy but don't want to do anything too complicated. You can do the same thing with skin-on fish fillets, but it will cook quicker (15-20min). And you can use a jarred pasta sauce, or any sauce, it doesn't have to be tomato. Hope it helps!

*Usually you'd check the chicken is done by poking it and seeing if the juices run clear - but you can't do that when there's tomato sauce everwhere!

Last edited by hippytea (Thu 10 Jan 13 11:06am)

Likes (0)

#720 Thu 10 Jan 13 1:46pm

yusuf1965

Hiya mate can you tell me how you I can offer you the best raw meat materials at very competitive prices for your restaurants I am BRC registerd with full traceability from farm to restaurants fridge. Please give me the opportunity to speak with you and give me chance to show you what I can do
Best Regards
Peter Fourmoush

Likes (0)