forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 28 Nov 12 10:01am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Recipes for the World's Most Beautiful Pumpkin

So I was feeling a little down the other day, and I was walking along Great Western Road, home of all that is chic and gnarly, and saw the World's Most Beautiful Pumpkin in a rack outside the African grocer. It was pale, frosty green, gently ribbed, and heavy like a neutron star. It had characterful scars that hinted at an adventurous past. It made all the world seem bright and warm and full of possibilities. I had to have it.

What? I like pumpkins.

So there it sits, on my counter, having its obligatory period of admiration before I hack it up and cook it. (I even do this with butternut squashes, though they're more of a comedy act than high art).

But the question is, what to do with it when the time comes? What recipe (or series of recipes, for it is big and, as I mentioned, impressively heavy) would befit the World's Most Beautiful Pumpkin?

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 28 Nov 12 10:04am)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 28 Nov 12 11:27am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Recipes for the World's Most Beautiful Pumpkin

I have one too sitting n my kitchen surface winking at me and telling me it needs to be eaten !

I have plans to make some pumpkin ravioli , roasted pumpkin mashed and mixed with a few other delicious ingredients ( probably chestnut) and made into ravioli.

I plan to make more ravioli filling than I need as then for the next day we will have cannaloni . I made pumpkin cannaloni a month or so ago taking inspiraton from the hioneycomb cannaloni that they  serve at Jamies Italian . In the honeycomb cannaloni they use 3 different filling and so one cannaloni might be filled with pumpkin and another might be filled with spinach and ricotta.

I like roasted wedges of pumkin and so some is planned for that also.

and of course soup ..pumkin soup

another plan for this is in a curry , pumpkin curry with some gren beans in it also ,,,very nice.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 28 Nov 12 3:05pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Ooh. I've never made ravioli, always wanted to try. Do you use a machine, or just elbow grease?

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 28 Nov 12 3:10pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

no I am unable to roll out the pasta and I have a pasta roller attatchment for my kitchenaid stand mixer

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 08 Jan 13 9:32am

hippytea

From Scotland

Well, the World's Most Beautiful Pumpkin has finally been cut open! It is as beautiful inside as it was outside, VIVID orange, and there is absolutely masses of flesh. We're going to be eating it all week, and I'll probably have to freeze some, too!

Had some steamed last night (as per a recipe in "Mma Ramotswe's Cookbook", of which I am now the delighted owner), and it was really lovely. Dense and sweet and really smooth - far less of a visible grain than a butternut squash. African pumpkins are the goods! Will probably roast it tonight and have it with sausages, then make some soup for later in the week.

I am a little sad to have lost my favourite countertop decoration, but it had to go sometime, and it was completely worth it. I do so love pumpkins.

Wondering about planting the seeds to see if I can get some to grow in my garden.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 08 Jan 13 12:02pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I missed the beginning of this post Hippytea, but I am so glad to see it now. I too love pumpkins and enjoy having them on the bench to admire!
What a lot of yummy things you will make with it! I love pumpkin curry, roast pumpkin, pumpkin risotto, I love to add some cooked mashed pumpkin to my bread dough, O and soup ofcourse! big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 09 Jan 13 9:58am

hippytea

From Scotland

Had it roasted last night, with sausages and gravy, it was FAB.

Making bean-burgers tonight, I'm going to try grating the pumpkin into them in place of the usual carrot. I may also make some pumpkin bread.

It's a pumpkinthon!

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 09 Jan 13 9:58am)

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 09 Jan 13 1:40pm

jakewite

Member since Tue 08 Jan 13

I've never made ravioli, always wanted to try.Know I have some spare times to do such things.I am going to try this tonight.As my father has come from Russia on visit visa of 40 days.

investor visa australia

Last edited by jakewite (Mon 21 Jan 13 3:33pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 12 Jan 13 4:57pm

jakewite

Member since Tue 08 Jan 13

jakewite wrote:

I've never made ravioli, always wanted to try.Know I have some spare times to do such things.I am going to try this tonight.As my father has come from Russia on visit visa of 40 days.

Likes (0)