Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#701 Tue 08 Jan 13 11:11am

lizanel

Member since Tue 08 Jan 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hey Jamie,

Can I request some recipes for pregnant women please? I love cooking, but now that Im pregnant its really hard because I have to keep checking if Im allowed to eat all the ingredients. I know your wife has been through it herself and was hoping you could give us some healthy recipes from your experience with her. And if you feel inspired, please write a recipe book for pregnancy!

Cheers!

Likes (0)

#702 Tue 08 Jan 13 11:28pm

pmf13

Member since Tue 08 Jan 13

Hi Jamie,

I will be making your roast lamb shoulder with smashed veg for guests and have one question. Rather than the bone-in roast you use in the recipe I have a boneless rolled lamb shoulder of about 2 kg. How will the cooking temperature and time change because of that?

Thanks,
Peter

Likes (0)

#703 Thu 10 Jan 13 3:37am

chezlauren98

Member since Thu 10 Jan 13

Hi guys, i'm fourteen and am cooking a meal for my family this weekend. I am really stuck on what to make. Has anyone got any quick and delicious ideas? Thank you!

Likes (0)

#704 Thu 10 Jan 13 8:46am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Where to start, cheslaufren98?!  We don't know anything about your present cooking skills but I'm thinking you would like to prepare something simple.  Don't know where you are in the world either;  it makes a difference.
For a start, I'm actually cooking venison sausages braised in red wine.  It's simple and suspect extremely tasty.  I shall serve this with mashed potatoes and perhaps a green veg.  This recipe is with compiments of Delia Smith (sorry Jamie - ya can't win 'em all  wink

If you could be more specific in what type of meal you would like to cook, it would help and give us some clues as to your expertise.

You're very young and it's very encouraging to hear of your interest in cooking for the family.  Well done and good luck.  Come back if you want further advice.

Likes (0)

#705 Thu 10 Jan 13 11:02am

Danniellejaayne

I need help. My Mum has recently become gluten and lactose intolerant. She's lost so much weight (roughly 15kg) as a result she is now underweight. I would love to know of gluten and lactose free recipes that are 1. Tasty and 2. Could help her gain some weight. She works 13 hour days so preferably something quick and easy. Thank you xx

Likes (0)

#706 Thu 10 Jan 13 11:04am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

chezlauren98: here's an idea.

Put a tin of tomatoes in an oven dish. Season with salt, pepper and sugar, and add some crushed garlic if you like.

Get some chicken breasts or thighs with the skin on and sit them in the tomatoes so that the skin is facing up. Rub a little oil on the skins and sprinkle with salt.

Bake in a hot oven (220C/450F) for 20-30 minutes. When it's done, the skin will be brown and bubbly and the chicken will be the same colour all the way through - cut one open to check.*

Serve with rice, pasta or boiled potatoes and a green vegetable like peas or green beans, or a green salad (just because it looks good).

That's a favourite simple meal for when I want to look like I'm being fancy but don't want to do anything too complicated. You can do the same thing with skin-on fish fillets, but it will cook quicker (15-20min). And you can use a jarred pasta sauce, or any sauce, it doesn't have to be tomato. Hope it helps!

*Usually you'd check the chicken is done by poking it and seeing if the juices run clear - but you can't do that when there's tomato sauce everwhere!

Last edited by hippytea (Thu 10 Jan 13 11:06am)

Likes (0)

#707 Thu 10 Jan 13 1:46pm

yusuf1965

Hiya mate can you tell me how you I can offer you the best raw meat materials at very competitive prices for your restaurants I am BRC registerd with full traceability from farm to restaurants fridge. Please give me the opportunity to speak with you and give me chance to show you what I can do
Best Regards
Peter Fourmoush

Likes (0)

#708 Thu 10 Jan 13 1:55pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

? hmm

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#709 Thu 10 Jan 13 3:36pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

There was a question in this thread earlier about gluten/lactose intolerance and asking for any recipes we could impart.  Where's it gone?
Hippytea responded but no can find.
help

Panic not - just found it.  Sorry to disturb.

Last edited by Thistledo (Thu 10 Jan 13 3:59pm)

Likes (0)

#710 Thu 10 Jan 13 4:37pm

Pastrycase

Member since Wed 19 Dec 12

Danniellejaayne wrote:

I need help. My Mum has recently become gluten and lactose intolerant. She's lost so much weight (roughly 15kg) as a result she is now underweight. I would love to know of gluten and lactose free recipes that are 1. Tasty and 2. Could help her gain some weight. She works 13 hour days so preferably something quick and easy. Thank you xx

Hello Danniellejaayne.  I'm sorry to hear of your mum's two intolerances, one is bad enough! Being gluten intolerant myself I know how scary 1) it is to be faced with cutting out certain foods which can make you ill, and 2) How daunting it is when setting out to find recipes.
Things to remember,...Just about every unprocessed food, barring grains, is gluten free, and I believe only dairy products contain lactose. There is a world of G/free food out there!!
Unfortunately 'unprocessed' means cooking from the raw materials, and that isn't always quick. Fish is quick to cook, and soups, stews and casseroles may take a while to cook, but are great for freezing, and / or having next day. I think eggs would be ok for your mum, so omelettes filled with tomatoes, mushrooms, perhaps bacon, and the like would make a fast meal.  Sauces and gravies can be thickened with cornflour ( corn doesn't contain gluten)  Rice milk, (most supermarkest stock it) and I think coconut milk are ok,= lactose free. I'm trying here to give you some ideas, and open up the horizon a bit, rather than give you just 'one' recipe. It's a case of looking at the 'raw' foods, and building from there. Nothing processed can be trusted as G/free, unless purposely produced as such. All fresh meats, fish, fruit, and veg, are both gluten and lactose free, - the world's ya oyster! so to speak.
If in England ( not sure about elsewhere ) bread products can be prescribed by the doctor, - Glutafin bread mix is my favourite - opening up all things you can do with bread, - perhaps not cheese on toast, - but beans - check the labels - are usually G/free, sardines, - anything you would normally have on toast. just check for gluten in anything canned, the bread is nice toasted. Boost flavours with spices and herbs. Buy good quality spices, as cheaper brands often contain grains to bump up the weight, - and it doesn't say so on the jar!
G/free sage & onion stuffing is available, for poultry, - you can make your own, with the G/free bread.
Summer pudding, or bread & butter pudding is possible if you find a nice milk substitute, it's ok made to normal recipes, but using G/free bread.
I do hope to have helped.
Let us know how you get on please.

Last edited by Pastrycase (Thu 10 Jan 13 5:30pm)

Likes (0)