forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 06 Jan 13 2:24pm

norfolk boy

Occupation unemployed at present.
From norfolk uk
Member since Sat 24 Apr 10

Indoor herb plants

I am trying to keep a selection of herbplant on my kitchen windowsill. The problem is they dont last long, they are supermarket bought ' live ' plants & transferred to larger pots to allow for growth,(as ALWAYS pot bound when bought), I water them about once a week & not to much. they seem to go dry & shrivel after about a month. Can anyone help me to stop loosing them. OK, they only cost about 2 -3 a plant, but just a month.....

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 06 Jan 13 3:23pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Indoor herb plants

The herb pots that are groen in the supermarkets are hot house grow and I have found that they dont always ast too long in the , i the summer months I get then to last longer by planting them in the garden.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 06 Jan 13 4:12pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Second what mummza says, though I've been able to "Keep" Basil & Mint growing on the windowsill...none of the other "tender" herbs survive more than a few days....

Last edited by wine~o (Sun 06 Jan 13 4:34pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 06 Jan 13 4:43pm

Alexzandria

Occupation Graphic Designer
From Montana USA
Member since Wed 22 Apr 09

Be glad you have space on your windowsill and start them from seed. I have found that I can't grow enough to keep up with the amount I want to use

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 10 Jan 13 6:47pm

jakewite

Member since Tue 08 Jan 13

Its good that you have some space for such things to do.Its nice and helthy thing to do.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 10 Jan 13 7:54pm

xanderlee

Member since Fri 11 Jun 10

I often grow supermarket basil and mint and thyme quite successfully.  When you re-pot them, make sure they are really wet; soak them in water for a little while before hand so you can tease the roots apart gently and then re-pot them.  Make sure they are warm and have plenty of light and water as needed.  Mint and basil like to be moist; thyme can dry out a little.  Good luck xx

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 11 Jan 13 8:21am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Like the others, I've had no trouble keeping supermarket basil, coriander and parsley alive on the windowsill, but only in summer. They can't stand the lack of light in winter - especially the basil, it seems.

I've also grown a lot of different herbs successfully from seed on the windowsill. The only ones I've had no success with are chives and garlic chives. I think their narrow leaves mean they need more light and are better grown outside. A window box would probably do the job.

Likes (0)