forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 09 Jan 13 8:49pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Re: starbucks, not jumping on the bandwagan, I've alway hated the bastards

It would be interesting though to see how much tax is paid for one cup of Joe from the start of bean production to Starschmuck's purchase.

Last edited by Pakman (Wed 09 Jan 13 8:50pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 10 Jan 13 8:05pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

Not sure how much taxes are paid from start to finnish and it would be very difficult to work out because coffee is grown in many different countries.
But the reason why what starbucks is doing is wrong is Costas also have start to finnish costs and taxes. But they pay taxes on their income here unlike starbucks.

The two companies are almost identical in what they sell, how they sell and where they sell, company the size  and structure and every other way you can compare two companies. Assuming StarBucks has a right or even an obligation on behalf of it's shareholders not to pay tax is to assume what costos is doing by paying tax is wrong and costas should be punished for it. If StarBucks is right should the Costas be closed down, should its managers be sued by the shareholders for giving away their dividens to the inland revenue?

Even though it is very hard to calculate how much tax is paid from start to finnish.
What is easy to calculate is how much Starbucks pays to the farmers that grow their coffee.
And they pay next to nothing. Because next to nothing of starbucks coffee is fairtrade, while 100% of costas coffee is fair trade.

Last edited by abdullahcohn (Thu 10 Jan 13 8:07pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 10 Jan 13 8:18pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

I'm not buying Costa coffee either...

nothing to do with taxes/fairtrade...

I just don't like coffee... (Rather have a beer...)

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 10 Jan 13 9:15pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I used to look for Illy when we traveled overseas because it was a good value for the cost.  Here, it is much more expensive.  The best coffee we had was in Indonesia.  Nothing can compare, but some of the coffee I have had in a few choice places comes close.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 11 Jan 13 12:38am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House

I don't drink coffee myself, I'm more of a tea person.

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 12 Jan 13 5:14pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 13 Jan 13 1:07am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I don't do multi-national anything if I can possibly do otherwise.

I support my local businesses/producers wherever & whenever possible, & have little or no time for people who do otherwise. Our local economy depends on it, & the people who are ruining just about everything I believe in are precisely the sorts that frequent the CostalottaWarbucks places.

If we shut them down by voting with our cups & wallets, they wouldn't need to pay tax (or not as the case may be!).

Likes (0)