"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#722 Thu 10 Jan 13 3:36pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

There was a question in this thread earlier about gluten/lactose intolerance and asking for any recipes we could impart.  Where's it gone?
Hippytea responded but no can find.
help

Panic not - just found it.  Sorry to disturb.

Last edited by Thistledo (Thu 10 Jan 13 3:59pm)

Likes (0)

#723 Thu 10 Jan 13 4:37pm

Pastrycase

Member since Wed 19 Dec 12

Danniellejaayne wrote:

I need help. My Mum has recently become gluten and lactose intolerant. She's lost so much weight (roughly 15kg) as a result she is now underweight. I would love to know of gluten and lactose free recipes that are 1. Tasty and 2. Could help her gain some weight. She works 13 hour days so preferably something quick and easy. Thank you xx

Hello Danniellejaayne.  I'm sorry to hear of your mum's two intolerances, one is bad enough! Being gluten intolerant myself I know how scary 1) it is to be faced with cutting out certain foods which can make you ill, and 2) How daunting it is when setting out to find recipes.
Things to remember,...Just about every unprocessed food, barring grains, is gluten free, and I believe only dairy products contain lactose. There is a world of G/free food out there!!
Unfortunately 'unprocessed' means cooking from the raw materials, and that isn't always quick. Fish is quick to cook, and soups, stews and casseroles may take a while to cook, but are great for freezing, and / or having next day. I think eggs would be ok for your mum, so omelettes filled with tomatoes, mushrooms, perhaps bacon, and the like would make a fast meal.  Sauces and gravies can be thickened with cornflour ( corn doesn't contain gluten)  Rice milk, (most supermarkest stock it) and I think coconut milk are ok,= lactose free. I'm trying here to give you some ideas, and open up the horizon a bit, rather than give you just 'one' recipe. It's a case of looking at the 'raw' foods, and building from there. Nothing processed can be trusted as G/free, unless purposely produced as such. All fresh meats, fish, fruit, and veg, are both gluten and lactose free, - the world's ya oyster! so to speak.
If in England ( not sure about elsewhere ) bread products can be prescribed by the doctor, - Glutafin bread mix is my favourite - opening up all things you can do with bread, - perhaps not cheese on toast, - but beans - check the labels - are usually G/free, sardines, - anything you would normally have on toast. just check for gluten in anything canned, the bread is nice toasted. Boost flavours with spices and herbs. Buy good quality spices, as cheaper brands often contain grains to bump up the weight, - and it doesn't say so on the jar!
G/free sage & onion stuffing is available, for poultry, - you can make your own, with the G/free bread.
Summer pudding, or bread & butter pudding is possible if you find a nice milk substitute, it's ok made to normal recipes, but using G/free bread.
I do hope to have helped.
Let us know how you get on please.

Last edited by Pastrycase (Thu 10 Jan 13 5:30pm)

Likes (0)

#724 Thu 10 Jan 13 5:47pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Lots of info regards Gluten intolerance here..

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28081

Likes (0)

#725 Fri 11 Jan 13 4:09am

chezlauren98

Member since Thu 10 Jan 13

Thank you all so much for all of your help! You guys are great, Hippytea - i think i will give your dish a go... thanks so much!  big_smile

Likes (0)

#726 Fri 11 Jan 13 8:16am

Thistledo

A big HELP, please.  I'm grasping at straws here but I'm desperate.  ITV Food website closed!  Can you believe that?  I've had a recipe in my Favourites for ages with the plan to start preparing it today.  Mike Robinson's Sticky Spiced Pork Ribs, as demonstrated on a Countrywise programme.  I've got all the ingredients and need to marinate them this evening for consuming tomorrow.  The recipe contains olive oil, maple syrup, hoisin sauce, dark soy sauce and very likely other stuff.  No idea on quantities.  I'm desperate and would appreciate any help, using the above ingredients.  Quantities is the key factor here, cos I ain't done it before.  I've searched high and low on Google - no joy.  I think the ribs are roasted on 200C for about 1-1/2 hours but again, not sure.
Close your eyes Jamie and my apologies.
URGENT PLEASE FOLKS.
help

Likes (0)

#727 Fri 11 Jan 13 8:31am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Have no idea, Thistledo as I don't cook or eat ribs.

I know that there are a zillion recipes online for same, though, using same ingredients as yours. With a bit of luck Google might come u with your exact recipe.

Good luck  crossed

Likes (0)

#728 Fri 11 Jan 13 8:41am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Oops, sorry. Didn't read your post properly:/.

Thought Google was too obvious an answer.

Likes (0)

#729 Fri 11 Jan 13 8:49am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Google cached it! Now print it out quick before this site disappears too!

Sticky spiced pork ribs

First shown on Countrywise.
Recipe by
Mike Robinson
Countrywise
Skill Level Easy
Serves 5

Course
    Main course
Cuisine
    Fusion
Occasion
    Barbecue

TAGS Meat, Marinade

Pork ribs are incredibly cheap to buy, really easy to cook, and are brilliant for sharing outdoors in the summer.

Ingredients

Urgent
Before you start...

The ribs should marinate for at least 4 hours before cooking.

* 1 large piece of fresh ginger
    * 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or grated
    * 150 ml5¼ fl oz dark soya sauce
    * 175 ml6¼ fl oz maple syrup
    * 150 ml5¼ fl oz hoisin sauce
    * 1 tsp five-spice powder
    * 2 limes, juiced
    * 2x 1.3 kg2¾ lb racks of pork ribs
    * Freshly ground black pepper

Method: How to make Sticky spiced pork ribs

Start by grating a couple of thumb-sized pieces of ginger into a bowl. Add the garlic, soya sauce, maple syrup, hoisin sauce, five-spice powder and, finally, the lime juice and black pepper. Mix well.

Place the ribs in a deep oven tray. Take two-thirds of the marinade and pour it over the ribs and rub in well. Cover and leave to marinate for at least four hours.

Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Place the tray with the ribs in the oven and cook for 45 minutes until done.

To serve:

When you are ready to serve, transfer the ribs to the barbecue and brush with the remaining marinade to form a glaze. (If you don’t wish to use the barbecue, turn your oven up to maximum for the last 10 minutes.)

Use a knife, or cleaver, to cut the ribs into individual pieces. Pile up in a bowl and attack with sticky fingers, and lots of cold beer.

Likes (0)

#730 Fri 11 Jan 13 10:16am

Thistledo

Oh, fgs Hippytea.  You seem to have cracked it and you've absolutely made my day/week/year.
You're an absolute star.
A 1000 thank-yous.
Now safely tucked away in a Word document.

Last edited by Thistledo (Fri 11 Jan 13 10:23am)

Likes (0)