Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 11 Jan 13 12:33pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Food for the soul

Hello all!

Temperatures in London have plummeted in the last few days and everyone's feeling a little worse for wear, so I'm making Georgie's chicken soup from the How To video we launched this morning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxo5GimGHw) for the food team's lunch.

What are your go-to recipes for when you're feeling a little bit downtrodden? Not necessarily 'food for colds', but just generally when one's in need of a bit of comfort. I'm generally very fond of a spicy butternut squash, carrot and sweet potato (spiced with chili and cinnamon) soup recipe I published on my blog last year. How about you?

M x

Ps - I'd suggest subscribing to YouTube channel, if you haven't already - big things are coming from Jamie on it, as well as more lovely little video ideas like this one. Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 11 Jan 13 12:41pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Food for the soul

For me it has to be a really nice beef and red pepper stew, with lots of paprika, garlic and red wine, served with either roasted Brussels sprouts or fried cabbage.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 11 Jan 13 12:44pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Spiced Parsnip soup..

a nice Beef casserole with dumplings...

Though Mrs. Wine~o prefers Fish fingers (must be Haddock) and Mashed spuds...
It takes all sorts...

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 11 Jan 13 12:45pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

I go with a stew as well.  Leeky lamb stew with dumplings is my favourite.  Leave it overnight to get cold, scrape off the excess fat and heat it up.  Always best second time around anyway.

I find curries and spagbol comforting meals too.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 11 Jan 13 12:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

well ...at the moment I have red peppers and tomatoes roasting in the oven with a bulb of garlic ready to make some soup , I usually blacken the peppers on the BBQ before then peel them before I make soup but today I am taking a but of a short cut.
Re ppepper and tomato soup is always a favorite .

Butternut squash soup
Parsnip with a few cury spices is lovely n a chilly day.
and of course leek and potato spup is a real winter warmer and great comfort food as well.

cauliflower cheese is a great comfort food as well
or a lovey rissotto .

Last edited by mummza (Fri 11 Jan 13 1:26pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 11 Jan 13 1:09pm

Sophia HKW

Member since Fri 14 Dec 12

Lobster & Butternut Squash Risotto will do the trick for me.

or a lazy option: Cornish cream tea.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 11 Jan 13 1:57pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Something really beefy like a stew, spaghetti bolognese, Steak and Guinness Pie.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 11 Jan 13 2:29pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Lentil soup or Shepherd's pie, maybe? But really, the most comforting thing is buttered toast/crumpets/whatever and a milky drink, e.g. hot chocolate. I've been experimenting with masala chai recently, great stuff for a cold day.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 11 Jan 13 2:41pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

These all sound great. How do most of you do your stews? Slowly in the oven or do you use slow-cookers?

Just throwing this in there - I always found hot Bovril to be one of the most comforting things in the world as a kid thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 11 Jan 13 2:56pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I usually cheer up making the most yellow polenta to go with everything: stravecchio cheese, fried eggs, a pan of fresh cropped savoy(??) cabbage boiled and stirfried with oil and garlic, adding slowly their boiled in water

or doing in 15 mins the little ricotta pancakes I learnt from Maria Sorokina's blog called syrniki, they fill you with sweet good food and joy big_smile

Likes (0)