Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 11 Jan 13 4:45pm

BakingSocial.c

Member since Fri 11 Jan 13

How many people on here have an allotment?

How many people on here have an allotment?

I'm going through all the seed cats getting ready too order big_smile

What do your grow?

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 11 Jan 13 5:51pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: How many people on here have an allotment?

No allotment, but I've got a couple of raised beds for veg (AKA cat litter trays...)

and grow with varying degreees of success...carrots, parsnip, swede, onions, garlic,sprouts, courgettes...and in bags...potatoes and in containers tomatoes and chillis...though the last couple of years..wet summers etc. oops

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 11 Jan 13 6:30pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I borrowed a piece of land from a friend and cultivate it, beyond taking care of my veg garden at home
I save seeds from a season to another for tomatoes, pumpkins and some other vegs, last year I bought organic ones on line, some gave beautiful results other did not do wonders, peppers  and aubergines were very very late in doing their fruits,

last summer was a good season for my strabberries, the big ones and the wild ones aswell

next year (this summer) I'll have a production of rhubarb I started from a few plants I let go to seed, orto plus campo I must have at least 20 of them now crossed wish me good luck

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 12 Jan 13 11:55am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Good luck Mada!  tongue  How do you save the seeds? Just remove from fruit/veg, dry and store or? Interested to know about the rhubarb seed procedure as well.  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 12 Jan 13 3:06pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

ciao Pakman big_smile I store the seeds after letting them dry on the terrazza, previously washed (for tomatoes and pumpkin for example) in coffee piattini until disidratati, they go then in little parcels nade with notebook leaves and kept closed with linen pegs with their name on, all of them in a bread paper sacchetto ............... lost around the house or garage until fefruary comes and it's time to start the hunt to discover where they are

the rhubarb has been sown immediately this summer after picking the seeds, lots of them, many little plants grew but many got lost transplanting them in little pots, I have given around to friends and what is left will tell me what I will be "a rhubarb ambassador in Friuli"????? lol  cool

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 12 Jan 13 4:16pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Reported!

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 12 Jan 13 5:13pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

wine~o wrote:

...and grow with varying degreees of success...carrots, parsnip, swede, onions, garlic,sprouts, courgettes...and in bags...potatoes and in containers tomatoes and chillis...though the last couple of years..wet summers etc. oops

To be honest the last couple of growing cycles have been something of a challenge to experienced growers in Britain.
For the first time in recorded history, last summer I lost nearly every Tomato to Blight, & an awful lot of seed lost to rain/flood/saturated soil where germination was nearly impossible or rot set in almost immediately. The excessive water plus extremely low light levels for much of the year pretty much put the cap on a fairly pathetic year produce-wise.

The economists are predicting shockingly high price hikes on most foods in Britain this year because of shortages on yield, so with hopefully a turn-around on weather this coming year, growing-your-own is more essential than ever.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 12 Jan 13 6:47pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

genRoogedub reported

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 13 Jan 13 11:37am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

We had an allotment when we lived in a flat, but since we moved to a house we've been trying to grow veg in the garden.

Not much luck because of slugs and snails. Despite positive evidence that we have a hedgehog (footprints on wet cement last autumn), the slugs and snails are EVERYWHERE. We've tried nematodes, copper rings, beer traps, no luck. Last year, with the unusually wet weather, they ate literally everything except the tomato plants, which didn't fruit anyway because of the bad weather, and the potatoes, which gave a small yield. They even chewed on the rhubarb leaves!

Pretty discouraging. We're reluctant to use slug pellets, but we may have to resort to it this year.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 13 Jan 13 11:43am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Hippytea, I have the same problem, I managed to get some slug pellets which are only harmful to slugs, and are slower acting than the "Normal" ones..it gives the slug time to go underground before it dies..therfore can't be eaten by birds/hedgehogs.....

........can't remember the brand, but any good garden centre should have them...

Likes (0)