forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#731 Fri 11 Jan 13 10:50pm

hema3033

Member since Sat 10 Nov 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Maree wrote:

hema3033 wrote:

I am working my way through 15MM - wow! was there life before this book! I have now bought 30MM but not yet tried anything from it.
My question is more a request - please please would you consider making a dvd of the tv shows of each of these books. I for one could not put a price on how valuable this would be to me.
Some recipes seem intimidating, but if I watch you cook it before I begin, it feels like a doddle!
Thank you

Hi Hema, During the rush prior to Christmas, I noticed DVDs for 30MM at my local mega electronic store.

I live in Australia. Not sure where you live. Keep a watchful eye and/or try Amazon or similar stores online.

Hey thanks Maree - will look into that! Its a comfort to know it exists though x

Likes (0)

#732 Fri 11 Jan 13 10:57pm

p123b

Member since Fri 11 Jan 13

Hello
JUst wondered where i can find the POlish recipe of the stew that they make i think it has cabbage sausage and other ingridiants in it  neutral

Likes (0)

#733 Fri 11 Jan 13 11:06pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

P123b welcome to the forum .

I think that stew might be bigos , otherwise known as hunters stew.
The cabbage in it is sauerkraut as far as I can remember.
I don't have a recipe right now but I think there used to be one somewhere amongst the forum pages .
Very quick search and I found this ,
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=30
there may be other mentions of it as well , go to the side of the page and click on 'search ' and enter .. bigos .. Into
The subject box , leave author box empty , enter the search and it will bring up a few old threads that you can look at to see what is mentioned.
Sorry I would search for you but I have a busy few days

Last edited by mummza (Fri 11 Jan 13 11:11pm)

Likes (0)

#734 Sat 12 Jan 13 9:32am

greenwom02

Member since Sat 12 Jan 13

Hi Jamie,

Love you work !!!! I have all your books and have tried many of your recipes. Of note, your Xmas turkey recipe. A real hit this past Xmas.

My partner and I have recently had a huge change to our lives and taken on our autistic grandson (Lachlan) living with us full-time. Have you considered taking on a challenge and developing menus for kids with disabilities?

I consider myself as a competent cook, however given their visual, texture and change resilience tendencies cooking healthy food is a real challenge.

Regards
Marc

Likes (0)

#735 Sat 12 Jan 13 6:46pm

cecilia.karlsson.988

From Sweden, Linköping
Member since Sat 12 Jan 13

Hi Jamie, how do you know when pork is cooked? I always have to cut in the pork chops to make sure that it´s not raw in the middle. And is it okay for it to be a tiny bit pink?

Likes (0)

#736 Sat 12 Jan 13 6:58pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Pork, if farmed and butchered correctly, Can be served a little "Underdone/pink" unlike poultry.

Likes (0)

#737 Sat 12 Jan 13 7:30pm

lindyloo51

Member since Thu 11 Oct 12

Hi all!

What I would really like to know is how to have a nice flavour in my Cottage pie? It always seems to come out bland so would like to make it more savoury without overkill? Any suggestions please? crossed

Likes (0)

#738 Sat 12 Jan 13 7:40pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Teaspoon of bovril, and maybe some dried thyme (or fresh if you have it)

Splash of worcestershire sauce...

Likes (0)

#739 Sun 13 Jan 13 9:05am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Mix a tsp of powdered mustard in with the mixture, or even a few chili flakes.

Likes (0)

#740 Sun 13 Jan 13 11:24am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

greenwom02 wrote:

My partner and I have recently had a huge change to our lives and taken on our autistic grandson (Lachlan) living with us full-time. Have you considered taking on a challenge and developing menus for kids with disabilities?

I consider myself as a competent cook, however given their visual, texture and change resilience tendencies cooking healthy food is a real challenge.

Hi Marc! Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your big change! I wish your family all the best with it.

I reckon writing a cookbook specifically for kids with disabilities would be difficult, as the challenges will vary so much from one individual to the next. But maybe we can help with Lachlan - what does he like to eat just now? Maybe there are some favourite dishes that can be subtly "healthed up".

Also, would he be interested in watching you cook, and maybe even helping himself? Understanding what goes into food and being involved in the process of cooking can help any kid to overcome their anxieties about trying something new. Even if he won't try what you eat, maybe it will ease his anxieties about the whole thing, which could benefit him later.

I also found these articles about diet for children with autism spectrum disorders - maybe useful if you haven't seen them already:

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-au … cents.aspx

Likes (0)