forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sun 13 Jan 13 1:51pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: How many people on here have an allotment?

At one stage I combated slugs and snails by going out before bed with a torch and a bucket. The first night I counted 300 snails before I gave up counting! I had to squash them all too. Trying to be as humane as I could.

PS Allotments aren't an Australian thing but community gardens play a similar role. There are several around here but I am not able to be involved at the moment.

Likes (0)

#12 Sun 13 Jan 13 3:41pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Grandmadamada wrote:

the rhubarb has been sown immediately this summer after picking the seeds, lots of them, many little plants grew but many got lost transplanting them in little pots, I have given around to friends and what is left will tell me what I will be "a rhubarb ambassador in Friuli"????? lol  cool

Was just at my mother in laws and asked her....she told me that she'll take care of it.  mrgreen She said something about strawberry rhubarb?? Not sure but I'll leave it to her  smile

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 13 Jan 13 11:47pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Slugs love hiding in dark places, so i have many pots in the garden 'upside down'. The mornings i turn the pots upright and find a few communities sharing the dark...thats when my husband arrives with helmet, gloves and plastic bag, i'll look the other way while he cleans them out puke

Slugs love beer and drown in it, problem is that our garden friendy hedgehog also likes beer and when drunk forgets all notion of defending himself from his enemys yikes

More recently, the last two years i have planted garlic and onions to protect my plants from those slimy things....Seems to work  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 13 Jan 13 11:52pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Joy, my husband would love a bucket of snails... wink

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 14 Jan 13 12:36am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I read somewhere slugs like a dark sweet  beverage I do not want to advertize shocked

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 14 Jan 13 1:24am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Kye wrote:

I saw this: http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/ … 774369.htm item on TV and realised I should have started a snail farm too!

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 15 Jan 13 1:10am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I show get snails and slugs in an inner-city apartment block hmm.

Joy, haven't looked at your link yet (but will, promise). There used to be a local commercial snail farm. Owner retired. New owner had limited success and gave up hmm.

Vaguely remember GeoffP posting about his attempts to cultivate snails for the table. Was hilarious. Will see if I can find it when I have the place to myself.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#18 Tue 15 Jan 13 1:31pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Kye wrote:

Slugs love hiding in dark places, so i have many pots in the garden 'upside down'. The mornings i turn the pots upright and find a few communities sharing the dark...thats when my husband arrives with helmet, gloves and plastic bag, i'll look the other way while he cleans them out puke

lol

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 15 Jan 13 7:22pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

I have an allotment of over 1000 sq metres. Cant say "I" grow anything cause I know close to nothing about farming. My dad however does and fortunately for us he's kind enough to grow a lot of stuff there, specially in the spring.
I have pears, apples, walnuts, lemons, figs, oranges and peaches. Plenty of sour cherries and a few grapevines which hopefully will produce some litres of homemade wine big_smile
Dad grows potatoes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, green peppers, green beans, lettuce, zuchini.
I wish I could say I do something. Oh I do actually. I grow herbs...I've rosemary, thyme, mint, sage, parsley, coriander and basil. I particularly like the first ones cause they dont need work. The others sometime...die shocked  whistle
I promise one day I'll know enough of farming! wink

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 15 Jan 13 8:13pm

Kye

Forum super champ

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Kye wrote:

I saw this: http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/ … 774369.htm item on TV and realised I should have started a snail farm too!

Thats a good post Joy, where we are we don't have many snails in the gardens, but in our beloved Burgundy its easy to fill a bucket while walking in the countryside.

I wouldn't mind a mini snail farm, as long as i can sell them alive
yikes

Likes (0)