Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sun 13 Jan 13 2:34pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Food for the soul

hippytea wrote:

I use a slow cooker for stews - lets me use tougher cuts, it's less work and I don't have to worry about it burning.

I think you are our resident slow cooker advocate on the forum hippytea!  They should hook you up with an endorsement deal smile

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 13 Jan 13 11:31pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

koukouvagia wrote:

What is spezzatino and brovil?

bovril has already been covered
spezzatino is like stufato(stew) except the ingredients are cut smaller.  loose translation of spezzatino would be small cuts/pieces.   

the most well know would use veal   spezzatino di vitello   but it really can be any stew with small pieces of meat.  Many have potato, carrot  onion  or even sweet peppers .

In my family though , if I say I am making spezzatino it is understood it will be a beef.  Techinically I guess it would be called spezzatino di manzo.  It is my nona's recipe and very plain. ingredients would be   beef preferally a tough cut ,cubed up into about 1.5 cm cubes.  a light bodied lively red wine, beef broth, tomato( depending on mood and what is available  it can be crushed  fresh, canned , passata, or paste) .   a small amount of onion.( too much makes it too sweet according to Nona)   a large hunk of carrot to knock down the acidity , but this is fished out afterwards.  s and p.. 

in fact I am making it right now.  no polenta though, I will eat it  over rice.

this picture looks very similar to how my nonna's recipe turns out except there would never be bay anywhere close to hers and the pieces look slightly too large to me.

http://www.ricettedellanonna.net/wp-con … CN1154.jpg

Last edited by Ashen (Sun 13 Jan 13 11:33pm)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#23 Mon 14 Jan 13 12:11am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

LisaLove2Cook wrote:

Hi,
Bovril is used as stock and alot of people drink it also.. Bit like marmite but marmite is yeast extract and bovril is meat extract. Lovely in a mug (used to dip bread in mine when I was a teenager) aint had it for ages

If ever my darling is poorly what he likes is a spoonful of marmite dissolved in a mug full of water  puke and toast to eat with it !
Don't get me wrong , I am with the love marmite brigade but as a drink its  puke !

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 14 Jan 13 12:45pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Ashen wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

What is spezzatino and brovil?

bovril has already been covered
spezzatino is like stufato(stew) except the ingredients are cut smaller.  loose translation of spezzatino would be small cuts/pieces.   

the most well know would use veal   spezzatino di vitello   but it really can be any stew with small pieces of meat.  Many have potato, carrot  onion  or even sweet peppers .

In my family though , if I say I am making spezzatino it is understood it will be a beef.  Techinically I guess it would be called spezzatino di manzo.  It is my nona's recipe and very plain. ingredients would be   beef preferally a tough cut ,cubed up into about 1.5 cm cubes.  a light bodied lively red wine, beef broth, tomato( depending on mood and what is available  it can be crushed  fresh, canned , passata, or paste) .   a small amount of onion.( too much makes it too sweet according to Nona)   a large hunk of carrot to knock down the acidity , but this is fished out afterwards.  s and p.. 

in fact I am making it right now.  no polenta though, I will eat it  over rice.

this picture looks very similar to how my nonna's recipe turns out except there would never be bay anywhere close to hers and the pieces look slightly too large to me.

http://www.ricettedellanonna.net/wp-con … CN1154.jpg

Good old beef stew.

Likes (0)

#25 Mon 14 Jan 13 1:36pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

yes,, and yet  not even close. wink

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#26 Mon 14 Jan 13 2:44pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I've been wanting to have French Onion soup or Jamie's English version.

Mmmm, spezzatino.  Thanks for specific instructions Ashen.

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 14 Jan 13 3:22pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

thanks for quoting nonne's wisdom and recipes cool I think I must get used to be in that categoria wink  lol

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 14 Jan 13 3:38pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

anyway back to the original question

I'd forgotten, Poached smoked haddock (Not the yellow stuff), served on creamy mashed potato with a poached egg on top...and if you want to "fancy it up", a dressing of olive oil, whole-grain mustard and chopped chives....

Nice and gentle on the tummy, and the smoky flavour is always comforting...

Likes (0)

#29 Mon 14 Jan 13 8:37pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Also mashed potato, and of course suet dumplings. Stodge, ah, so comforting.

Likes (0)