forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#751 Tue 15 Jan 13 8:22pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Ta muchly.  Actually, I've just done a Google on Tilda basmati rice and it's all there.
Appreciated, thanks.

Likes (0)

#752 Tue 15 Jan 13 8:28pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Thistledo wrote:

Accurately boiled rice.
In JO's 30-minute meal series he demonstrated how he does boiled rice without bringing a pan of water to the boil, adding the rice leave to simmer for about 12 mins.  Does anyone have that recipe, ie how much water to rice, please?

Was that the jasmine rice?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ … atter.html

JASMINE RICE: Put a medium saucepan on a medium heat. Add the mug of rice, a pinch of salt, a splash of olive oil, the 2 jasmine teabags or flower, and cover with 2 mugs of boiling water (use the same mug you used for the rice).
Cover and cook for 7 minutes, then take off the heat and leave to steam with the lid on for 7 minutes.

Likes (0)

#753 Wed 16 Jan 13 7:47am

Thistledo

Kye, nope, just the plain Tilda basmati rice and thanks for your input, although it's not from JO's 30-minute Meals.  Don't fancy jasmine with a red hot beef curry.  Seems to me that your method is no quicker than just using the conventional method of bringing a pan of salted water to the boil, throwing the rice in and wait for the rice to be cooked.  Thanks anyway.

Likes (0)

#754 Thu 17 Jan 13 10:16pm

mile.stojanovski

Member since Thu 17 Jan 13

hi jaime.i want to ask you something.I heard that your food is having much calories than industric food.is that a ture ?

Last edited by mile.stojanovski (Thu 17 Jan 13 10:17pm)

Likes (0)

#755 Thu 17 Jan 13 11:31pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Thistledo wrote:

Kye, nope, just the plain Tilda basmati rice and thanks for your input, although it's not from JO's 30-minute Meals.  Don't fancy jasmine with a red hot beef curry.  Seems to me that your method is no quicker than just using the conventional method of bringing a pan of salted water to the boil, throwing the rice in and wait for the rice to be cooked.  Thanks anyway.

I couldn't know that you were making a 'red hot beef curry' perhaps i missed something.

I totally dislike jasmine rice, found the site thinking perhaps it was what you were searching for...
I usually use basmatti in my rice cooker.
Otherwise i add rice to boiling water, add a very little salt, before it is cooked i take the pan off the heat, get rid of almost all the liquid and cover to allow the rice to steam....theres not many secrets to cooking rice, i wonder what you mean by conventional...?

Last edited by Kye (Fri 18 Jan 13 4:22pm)

Likes (0)

#756 Fri 18 Jan 13 7:06am

Thistledo

Hiya Kye.  I just asked for the method of cooking rice (in my case Basmati) the Jamie way;  rice to enough water so that at the end of the cooking time all the water is absorbed, without having to pour the lot into a collander for draining, which is the 'conventional ' way.  I didn't mention jasmine flavour.
I bring already salted water to the boil before adding the rice, incidentally.

Likes (0)

#757 Sat 19 Jan 13 10:51am

Lavy Garcia

Member since Thu 17 Jan 13

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

I also want the answer of that question even I am also experiencing like this and want to make crispy and juicy chicken that make me appreciable.Any kind of suggestions from your side would be good.for me.

Likes (0)

#758 Sat 19 Jan 13 11:13am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Thistledo wrote:

Hiya Kye.  I just asked for the method of cooking rice (in my case Basmati) the Jamie way;  rice to enough water so that at the end of the cooking time all the water is absorbed, without having to pour the lot into a collander for draining, which is the 'conventional ' way.  I didn't mention jasmine flavour.
I bring already salted water to the boil before adding the rice, incidentally.

Jamie's way is 1 measure of rice to 2 (same) measures of boiling water, bung a lid on and cook.

I now use a rice cooker most of the time but before that I did the following:

Desired amount of rice to pot, add tap water to level of first (clean) index finger above rice. Cook. Water absorbed. I left lid off.

Hope this helps.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#759 Sat 19 Jan 13 1:29pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

@ Deb:
Deb, my oven in Sydney was hopeless. This one is too (both came with the properties. I didn't choose ovens.

How I got around achieving crispy potatoes was not to heat the fat (whatever type) in the oven, but to heat it in the pan on top of the stove (oven on, doing its thing with whatever protein).

I'd get the fat hot but not smoking, add the potatoes, and turn until sealed on all sides and then bung in the oven to finish them off.

With much protein recommended to be rested for half the time it cooked, depending on the protein element and its size, you may well be taking it out of the oven as you bung the tatties in.

Hope this helps.

PS: As a self-admitted fatophobe, my fat is spray oil. It works for us. Each to their own smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#760 Sun 20 Jan 13 10:33am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric

It's not because your oven is electric. Electric ovens overall should be better at crisping things than gas ovens, as gas ovens generate moisture as they heat (meaning they should overall be better at cakes etc.)

But that's not to say your particular oven is hot enough. I've used some pretty feeble ovens. Weirdly, in my experience, the cheaper the oven, the hotter and dryer it is - so I tend to buy the cheapest ones! Some posh models I've used at friends' houses have been disappointingly cool.

Having said that, it may not be that your oven can't get hot enough - the thermostat may just be calibrated wrongly, meaning the dial says it's hotter than it is. It's worth getting an oven thermometer to check this, as it's a very common problem. The solution is to turn the dial up higher than the recipe says.

The tip about getting the fat hot on the hob first sounds like a good one. Also make sure you are giving it enough time to preheat before using it. An electric oven will take 15-20 minutes to reach tattie-roasting temperature.

Likes (0)