Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 16 Jan 13 6:24pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Tesco "Value range" Beef burgers....

Thistledo, is it legal to add horse to beef patties without labeling it in the U.K. if the price is low?   I mean, whatever reason people buy a cheap product, I think the laws should protect them and they certainly should not be adding a meat that is considered taboo in the U.K.  Or is horse not a taboo food in the U.K.?  It is taboo in the U.S.   People here would be very upset about that, same feeling they'd have if someone slipped dog or cat in to the food.

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 16 Jan 13 6:34pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 16 Jan 13 6:34pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

The occurance  (sp) of cross contamination of foodstuffs in the uk is unbelievable...there are numerous recalls weekly, which is why 90% of the food that passes my lips has been nowhere near a "processing plant"

However you only need to look at the shopping trolley of the average uk consumer to see a pile of processed ready meals of *Questionable* origin...

Sad, but the so called "Super"markets hold considerable sway over here.... sad

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 16 Jan 13 6:38pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

It'll be interesting to see if they are breaking laws or just deceiving people.  I have checked Wiki and it states that horse is a 'taboo' food in the U.K. and Ireland.  Knowingly adding a taboo meat to a product is such a very low thing to do.  Very bad!  After reading about this, I will boycott Tesco for life, period.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 16 Jan 13 6:44pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

MsPablo wrote:

I will boycott Tesco for life, period.

I did that years ago....

Any way in answer to your question are "they" breaking any laws....yes, consumer laws...

Can you legally buy Horse meat in the UK.. Yes, but not many will choose to, and it's not something stocked by your average Butcher..

By the way, this problem was not exclusive to Tesco, Iceland were also implicated (same supplier) and one or two other minor players in the UK and Ireland...again same (Rogue) supplier...

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 16 Jan 13 7:47pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Yes wine et o, Horse meat has always been eaten in France, at one time there was a Horse meat shop in any main street. We at one time bought it when the boys were young as it is full of vitamines. Usually when they were ill.
Problem was (evening meal) that we were not aware of just how strong it was in vitamines + bed two hrs later = NO SLEEP help + extra stories to calm them so we learnt our lesson!!

Zedbra was for sale before Christmas in a big supermarket here.

What saddens me is that those without a lot of income buy what they think is Beefburgers, even if there is limited percentage of meat i accept the deception when it is replaced with horse, monkey...i would be disgusted to think i have been fooled.

While in England the Sausages are usually pale with limited remains of pork. They make me feel ill when i look at the contents. Most times i find Irish susages with 87% pork... The price is not very different from their pale shelf camarades.

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 16 Jan 13 7:50pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

I buy sausages with 90% ish pork (At least that's what they tell me the meat is....) help

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 16 Jan 13 8:22pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Well, I am not going to judge people for eating a food that to them has no 'taboo' but respecting other people's taboos is a form of basic human decency and respect.  It would be like putting pork in a food marked 'Kosher' or 'Halal' or giving a vegetarian meat.  It's not ethical.

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 16 Jan 13 8:27pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

MsPablo wrote:

Well, I am not going to judge people for eating a food that to them has no 'taboo' but respecting other people's taboos is a form of basic human decency and respect.  It would be like putting pork in a food marked 'Kosher' or 'Halal' or giving a vegetarian meat.  It's not ethical.

Oh>>>> didn' I mention they also found Pig DNA in the same burgers....Tesco was set up by an Orthodox Jew (Surname Cohen...can't remember first name...)

Ooooooooooooooooppppppsssssssssssss

big_smile

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 16 Jan 13 8:32pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Oh wow, that is terrible!  I often look for the 'K' for Kosher symbol because it is assurance of quality and purity and the food has to be raised a certain way from start to finish.  That is one food influence in our society that a lot of people truly appreciate, even if they are not keeping Kosher.

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 16 Jan 13 8:39pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

Which is why it's more important than ever that we know the "Provenance" of our food....where it's grown/raised and how...the multi-nationals have had things their own way for far too long... evil

Likes (0)