Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 17 Jan 13 1:43pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Chicken!

Hello all,

As chicken is one of our central themes for January, we'd love for you all to input your favourite chicken recipes, tips, tricks and even anecdotes to this thread.

This is also the perfect place to ask any chicken-related questions you might have, as we'll be forwarding them straight to the Food Team for Jamie to be answering LIVE at the launch of his incredible new online venture on Monday night - again, the central theme for it is chicken!

The Food Tube launch takes place at 7.30pm GMT, Monday 21st January. It's going to be beamed straight from Jamie HQ in London, and is definitely worth subscribing to the channel for. We're aiming to hit 100,000 subscribers by Monday night, so help us out by hitting the subscribe button on http://www.youtube.com/jamieoliver and getting those questions in here!

By the way, personally my very favourite chicken recipe is one my Mum used to make us when we were kids in a huge casserole pot with honey and lemon and rosemary - amazing food.

M x

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 17 Jan 13 1:58pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Chicken!

I tend to buy whole chickens and joint them myself, far cheaper than buying ready portioned chicken..

Cooking breasts, I (almost) always cook on the bone, as you get a better flavour..If it's a decent bird in the first place, then just a light seasoning, brush with oil and let the flavour of the chicken shine through...

Although I am rather partial to making a "Tandoori stylie" chicken breast (All the usual spices, fresh ginger and garlic mixed with coconut yoghurt, slash the breasts and marinade for at least 4 hours) before cooking on full whack in the oven for half an hour or so....

The carcass and any leftover bits from jointing the chicken go into the freezer until I want/need to make some stock...

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 17 Jan 13 2:03pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

Oh and Merlin...typo, It's Food tube, not Foot tube... big_smile

And just one more thing....The 21st is Mrs. wine~o s birthday, so likely as not we'll be out celebrating...any chance you get Jamie to launch on the 22nd instead.. tongue firmly in cheek...

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 17 Jan 13 2:07pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Yep, I'm very prone to using whole chickens and jointing them myself - you get so much more for your money!

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 17 Jan 13 2:36pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Ahh chicken, the every day food.  Where do I start?  Well this is definitely one of my top favorites.

Grilled Lemony Chicken

- Chicken cut into parts
- 2 whole heads of garlic
- 1 small bunch of parlsey
- 2 lemons
- fresh thyme
- salt/pepper
- olive oil

1.  Cut the top off the garlic heads, season with salt/pepper and olive oil and wrap completely in foil.  Put in a 350F oven for 45 minutes.
2. When cooled, squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into a mortar pestle and mush into a paste.
3. Add the juice of 2 lemons, the chopped herbs, season with salt/pepper and add enough olive oil to make the mixture spread easily but still have body.
4. Season the chicken with only salt/pepper.  Grill on the bbq outside.
5.  When the chicken is 5 minutes away from being done brush on the roasted garlic lemony herby paste.
6. Eat and beware of the flavor explosion!!

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 17 Jan 13 2:46pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

Merlin wrote:

And yep, I'm very prone to using whole chickens and jointing them myself - you get so much more meat for your money!

Perhaps that could be a question for launch night... "I've noticed that pre-cut/portioned chicken is sooooooo much more expensive than buying a whole bird, How do I go about jointing one??"

Should fill all of 3 minutes.... lol

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 17 Jan 13 2:51pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Which came first? The chicken or the egg.
It was the egg, eggs have been around since the dinosaurs, and chickens have not.
Apparently chicken is going to be the thing this year.
French chickens are best; I had Le Bress pigeon last year, done justice by Clare Smyth. I hope to try a chicken eventually. When work picks up enough for us to afford one. We do buy Label Rouge, Marie Hot, when we are in Bavaria oddly enough.
There is a fantastic shop in V. Market Munich. Next door ish to where Jamie was getting off with the Pat Butcher lookalike, and making Sausages, in Jamie’s food fight.
Our butchers chickens are not the worst, I remember Sheepdrove organic and The Real Meat Company giving good results. But the French have the best.
I would love to be proved wrong on this.
Label Analgise? A factory farmer, who saw a market for making money with free range.
Any great chicken jokes or places to buy chicken, welcomed.
We are still on Pheasant here, £5:99 a brace.
Good Topic

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 17 Jan 13 2:55pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I'd like to see some chicken sausage recipes and demonstration of making them in to links.  We just bought a food grinder and sausage stuffing attachment for our KitchenAid mixer.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 17 Jan 13 2:58pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

MsPablo wrote:

I'd like to see some chicken sausage recipes and demonstration of making them in to links.  We just bought a food grinder and sausage stuffing attachment for our KitchenAid mixer.

I think you would need to add fat to make a successful chicken sausage,(Though I could be wrong, I often am...ask mrs. W~o)

I'd have thought it would be too dry without ??

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 17 Jan 13 3:06pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

In looking at a few recipes online, sometimes a juicy element like apple is added, but not necessarily fat, which is interesting.  I don't know.  I'd like to start with a tried and tested recipe if anyone has one they like.

We buy a chicken apple sausage that's our favorite and it is very low in fat and a lot less caloric than pork sausage.

Likes (0)