forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 17 Jan 13 12:09pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Canned Tomatoes......

Wasn't absolutely sure where you were. Read about the quake. So glad you're OK. Hugs.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#22 Thu 17 Jan 13 12:17pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

(Sorry to hijack the thread) Thanks guys.
Epicentre was  a few kms offshore from us  on the Northwest coast. Just a 3.4, slight damage in the bbq area but all good.

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 17 Jan 13 12:26pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

@ Shammy thumbsup

Back on track: haven't actually used the canned cherry toms. What do others use them for (as opposed to whole/ diced)?

Why?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#24 Thu 17 Jan 13 1:38pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

I still have canned goods but I try to avoid them as much as possible and use them asap as well as look for glass packaging  hmm

"According to research, BPA can have negative effects on the reproductive system, the immune system, and the nervous system. Itís been linked to metabolic disorder, heart disease, miscarriages, diabetes, and neurologic and behavioral disorders."
http://www.voxxi.com/canned-tomatoes-stay-away/

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 17 Jan 13 3:43pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Pakman....Post 5 in this thread http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=77160

Seems you were right !!!!! whistle

Likes (0)

#26 Thu 17 Jan 13 5:37pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

mrgreen

Likes (0)

#27 Thu 17 Jan 13 6:43pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Don't know about the BPA thing, Snopes classes it as "undetermined" - http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/soupcan.asp - worth keeping an eye on, maybe.

Re. tinned tomatoes and tomato/juice content, I went to the Co-Op today and looked. The only whole peeled tomatoes they had were their standard own brand. Both whole and chopped contained tomatoes (65%) and tomato juice. I think there was an acidity regulator as well, I didn't write that down.

So in that case, the fruit to juice ratio is exactly the same between chopped tomatoes and whole peeled plum tomatoes. Sadly I couldn't check this for other brands, as they only had chopped versions in stock.

As a comparison between the chopped tomatoes, the percentage of "tomatoes" was as follows:

Napolina: 70%
Co-Op standard own brand: 65%
Co-Op Simply Value: 60%

So there is a significant difference between brands. To extrapolate from this very limited data, if you want to avoid your tomatoes being watered down with extra juice, you need to upgrade brands rather than worry about whole vs. chopped.

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 17 Jan 13 6:55pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I tend to buy the chopped, as well, but they do seem to be quite good here, and never  watery.  I also keep passata in the cupboard.  However, I never buy those tomatoes that already have added herbs, chilli etc.

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 17 Jan 13 7:27pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I am surprised by the thing about passata sometimes containing tomato puree. I've never had that - I checked the passata in the cupboard (cheapskate Lidl passata, honestly, it's not the best) and it is 99.5% tomatoes. No puree. It has added salt, for some unfathomable reason (their tinned tomatoes don't).

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 17 Jan 13 7:35pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Dunno....I thought I'd opened a can of tomatoes....
Not a can of worms... whistle

I'll get my coat..(Second time tonight...) yikes

Likes (0)