forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 19 Jan 13 7:32pm

karenlesley

Occupation Retired
From Blandford Forum, Dorset
Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

Pork Butt

I know that the Americans call your bottom/backside the butt, so why call the pork shoulder that? question
Karen

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 19 Jan 13 7:42pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Pork Butt

They're American....let them have their own rules.....

How's the snow in Blandford???

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 19 Jan 13 8:08pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

karenlesley wrote:

I know that the Americans call your bottom/backside the butt, so why call the pork shoulder that? question
Karen

Check a dictionary.  Butt used to mean bottom is an informal use of the word.  It has many meanings, one being the blunt end of something.  Calling the rear end of a person a butt is a little crass, not really used in polite society.

eta:  It's not really a bad word used that way, but people who prefer to use polite language like my parents would tell us not to use that term because it sounds a little crude.  Today, no one would even blink at it being used that way because life imitates art and people imitate the lowest level of use of American English from films.  A pretty funny example was that when having dinner with a colleague a few times overseas, he was using the 'f' word out loud in a restaurant, assuming that Americans throw that word out in public loudly in any company because of the way it's used in films.  There are still people who would be deeply offended by that word in our culture, although I am not sure if it is as bad in British English?

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 19 Jan 13 10:26pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 20 Jan 13 1:37pm

karenlesley

Occupation Retired
From Blandford Forum, Dorset
Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

Hi Wine~O, Snow is disappearing fast, especialy where the birds are foraging for seeds and apple bits. The main roads are clear and the side roads a bit clagged up. Whereabouts in Dorset are you?
Ms Pablo, thank you for that explanation; I had just not thought of the alternative uses of the word 'butt'.
The 'F' word seems to be used by the younger generation a lot, heaven knows why! they obviously don't know the meaning of it, I used to work with older teenagers and young twenties and let them know, in no uncertain terms, that I wouldn't tolerate that sort of language. They soon stopped.
Karen  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 21 Jan 13 12:15am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I have tried to find a definitive reason behind the name before with no real luck.

I can give you the oft repeated internet folklore .   

During revolutionary and civil war times , cheaper cuts of meat including pork were packed in casks or Butts for transport.  Pork shoulder roasts that were cut in a specific way in boston eventually became known as boston butt .     Now  often called  pork butt or butt.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)