Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 19 Jan 13 6:00pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: What to do with leftover brown rice?

This issue came up quite a while back on the forum and at that time, it was new to me, but good to know.  Rice freezes well.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 19 Jan 13 6:32pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

MsPablo wrote:

This issue came up quite a while back on the forum and at that time, it was new to me, but good to know.  Rice freezes well.

thumbsup

I freeze everything 'leftover'.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 21 Jan 13 1:29am

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Thanks for all your ideas and yes rice can be a problem if not refrigerated properly.  Coh I have been reheating rice all my life and never had a problem either and the chinese say that rice cooked the day before makes the best fried rice. 
I didn't actually end up using the rice myself my neighbour across the road was having a working bee and was short on food to feed the hungry workers so she turned it into a roast vegetable, brown rice, spinach and chickpea salad with a tahini dressing but I am definitely making dirty rice with my next lot of left over rice.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 21 Jan 13 1:51pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Stuff capsicum or tomatoes, Sheryl.

Read an article from NSW Health last year that said most common form of food poisoning from "take aways/takeouts" was from rice-based foods. Walk through the food courts at the malls here at 4pm and you can understand why with their bain Marie's and leftover sushi sitting there all day.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#15 Mon 21 Jan 13 5:49pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

there is a reasonable amount of food poisioning cases here in the uk that are also put down to rice as well Maree ,
things like rice salads have caused large food poisining out breaks at times .
Food poisioning from fried rice from a takeaway .. well I have been a victim of that in the past .

Likes (0)