forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 19 Jan 13 12:50am

Blueladder

Occupation Actor
From UK
Member since Sun 18 Nov 12

Make 15 All Butter Croissants for the Price of One!!

Hi Everybody,

I knew croissants were expensive but hadn't realized just how expensive till I made them - you get 15 for the same price as one from my supermarket!!  And they're dead easy!!

It's about eight weeks since I posted my easy white bread recipe - thanks for all your help and suggestions with that!!!  I put your link on Squidoo saying how great this forum is and people have been clicking out so I hope you got some new members?!

I've now, after holding off for about twenty years!!! (and eight weeks) had a couple of goes at croissants and been delighted with the result.  I got the confidence after making so much ordinary bread - and when I paid an extortionate amount for a croissant at 4am at an airport when I missed my flight!!

However... even though I've read loads and tried to incorporate everything in my recipe - and they taste heavenly!!  I'm sure there are things you could improve!  So if any of you could 'road test' my recipe and let me know how it went that would be brilliant!!!

My aim is to help people save money and reconnect with their food - if you've made it you know what's in it!

Here's the link: http://www.squidoo.com/yeast-bread-recipes

http://about.me/paulbutterworth

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 20 Jan 13 11:11am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Make 15 All Butter Croissants for the Price of One!!

Wow, I must try that. But do I have the patience to spread it over three days?

You mention the fat content of the butter - what was the fat content of the President butter you used there?

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 20 Jan 13 3:19pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

President is 82%.

One thing all the taste comparisons note is that how a butter is wrapped made a big difference since high fat means it picks up any and all odors around it.  President has that thick foil wrapper.  It's a very good tasting butter. Beurre d'Echire - wonderful too.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 20 Jan 13 5:50pm

Blueladder

Occupation Actor
From UK
Member since Sun 18 Nov 12

Hi Hippytea,

I hope you do have a go - it's actually not that bad spreading it over three days... the first time I made them I thought it was a pain and was very impatient... but I did another batch (I still had some left so wasn't 'waiting' for my croissants!!!) and it didn't bother me at all.  Let me know how it goes if you give it a go.

And Ms Pablo... thanks for the butter info - useful to know about the foil!  I post that on the 'Comments' so it can help people and credit it to you, obviously!

I had a tip from Josh on 'The Fresh Loaf' that I should stretch the triangles before I rolled them as they looked a bit stumpy, roll them tighter and put fewer on a tray so they brown all round and not just on the top!

Happy baking!! smile

Paul

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 20 Jan 13 6:08pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

big_smile  Good luck with your baking and your blog Paul!

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 20 Jan 13 7:07pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Hello Paul,

Bravo for your croissants smile

I don't 'seem' to understand the three day preperation. Mine will take an hour to prepare ...

Edit: not including cooking time.

Last edited by Kye (Sun 20 Jan 13 7:14pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 20 Jan 13 9:49pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

My once and only croissant attempt was a three day process, too. They were delicious but I'm glad we weren't hungry big_smile wink.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#8 Mon 21 Jan 13 7:17pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Maree wrote:

My once and only croissant attempt was a three day process, too. They were delicious but I'm glad we weren't hungry big_smile wink.

Its something new to me Marée. wave

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 21 Jan 13 7:28pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

care to share your recipe, Kye?

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 21 Jan 13 8:12pm

Kye

Forum super champ

No problem wine et o, its somewhere, i know it by heart but will search where i have stocked it.

Likes (0)