Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Porridge !

Pakman wrote:

Oliver would like some more  tongue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4iEdMMjqdA

he might well do Pakman bbut it was Gruel that young Oliver was after not porridge , Gruel is quite different ..
http://cookit.e2bn.org/historycookbook/121-gruel.html

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 23 Jan 13 9:18pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Merlin , you reminded me about the salt , I think my darling forgot as well in this mornings porridge , as it was a bit lacking.
I dont realy like fruit in porridge but I do like the idea of putting cinnamon on the top and as I have some cinnamon sugar that I made at Christmas I might well give it a try .
Maree and susanne, we dont eat it as a stand your spoon in texture , buy its not runny either just a nice soft texture with a bit if texture.

Olivia, I knew you'd put salt on as I used to at one time to but I had to cut down on salt so I switched to sugar.I also knew youd make it with water, I am not keen on it made with all water but I dnt mind it made with half water and half milk, my darling in the other hand ikes to use just milk and as he makes the orridge thats what we all now have. so no salt for me wine-o.

Britfin I have never made porridge in the microwave but I know that one of my daughters does and also that my son does they tell me its a really good way.

My husband had this same discussion in he coffee room where he works this morning and when he came home to told me that with the younger members of staff quite a few of them put JAM on their porridge .. I am not sure about this myself .. jam on scones toast or bread or in baking yes, but on porridge , hmmmm I dont know has anyone tried Jam on their porridge?

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 24 Jan 13 1:46am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I love porridge too. I have even been famous among my friend's children for making the best porridge! There is no higher praise!
I once lived in a shared house where they put so much dried fruit in the porridge that it was like eating plum pudding. It was too much for me and put me off fruit in porridge for years. I read the Scots ate it with salt and pepper so I followed suit.

My trick is to start cooking with just water (no salt as it seems to retard the softening of the oats) and then add milk  and salt for the final few minutes. The milk gives an added creaminess. I did get to like adding in just a few of the lovely organic raisins we get locally, but now I am off sugar I am just eating it plain: except for a grind of pepper and some milk.

Next winter I am hoping to buy pinhead oatmeal and make it with that, it is finally available at the shop here.

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 24 Jan 13 6:41am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

That's interesting Joy , I have never heard of anyone putting pepper on porridge before .
Salt .. Yes
Pepper .. No

Wonder where you originally heard about that from .its funny isn't it what changes how we do things , I can see that pepper would also work on porridge .
But I'd Never heard if it before .
This is why I love reading these sort of threads as the unexpected always seems to turn up and make me think about it .

Last edited by mummza (Thu 24 Jan 13 6:42am)

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 24 Jan 13 6:48am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Too long ago to remember, but it is yum! yummy

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 24 Jan 13 1:56pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I grew up without porridge and it took some convincing. The first porridge I tried was very firm, very salty, and topped with muscovado sugar and cold milk.
I liked it except for the unpleasant texture. And the milk did nothing for me except help to make the very firm blob go down better.
So I did some experimenting myself until I got it right. I still salt it, but not as much. I don't stir anything else into the porridge, but put things on top or to the side.
yumyum   yummy

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 24 Jan 13 3:36pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

mummza wrote:

Merlin , you reminded me about the salt , I think my darling forgot as well in this mornings porridge , as it was a bit lacking.
I dont realy like fruit in porridge but I do like the idea of putting cinnamon on the top and as I have some cinnamon sugar that I made at Christmas I might well give it a try .
Maree and susanne, we dont eat it as a stand your spoon in texture , buy its not runny either just a nice soft texture with a bit if texture.

Salt is an absolute essential - staying true to the Scottish roots! Cinnamon sugar would definitely be a winner too.

You can also try things like flaked almonds or dried cranberries for something a little less sweet to add extra texture? Just a thought.

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 24 Jan 13 4:01pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

not sure about the dried cranberries sorry Merlin , athough Im sure its delicious .
toasted alond flakes might be good.
cinnamon sugar I thiink I might try .

What do you think about the idea of Jam on porridge ?
seems to be what the younger members of staff at my husbands office are eating on their porridge.

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 24 Jan 13 4:03pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Mummza...we used to have Jam on semolina....or when we could afford it, grated chocolate.. yummy

I am talking early to mid '70's though...

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 24 Jan 13 4:07pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

thats right jam on semolina or rice pudding was what was on the school dinner menu and my mother wuld give it to us at home sometimes, cant say I really liked the jam but it sweetened the rice and so I added it .

The children at school sometimes get a few chocolate buttns to put on their rice pudding ( as a treat ) , Im not that fond of chocolate myself and so have never tried chcolate on rice puddings or semolina.

Likes (0)