Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 25 Jan 13 10:29am

victor.vandort.353

Member since Fri 25 Jan 13

herby potatoes to compliment maple ham???

Hi all!
I'm looking for some advice if possible please. I make a quite simple yet delicious maple glazed ham. My friends have tried it and now they want to come over for dinner! Previously I've only used it as part of a buffet, but now I'm going to have to do a sit-down meal. I'm struggling with my side dishes though. I'm thinking grilled asparagus, a red onion marmalade, pickled red cabbage, and ideally I'd like new potatoes..... but what herbs would work well with the potatoes that wouldn't be strange with the maple ham? I've seen plenty of recipes where sweet potatoes are teamed with maple ham, but I don't particularly like sweet potatoes. Any suggestions welcome!

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 25 Jan 13 12:51pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Re: herby potatoes to compliment maple ham???

Thyme, maybe sage. Red pepper flakes?

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 25 Jan 13 1:11pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

First off, where do you live?  Is asparagus in season where you are?  I know over here in the northeast US we are frozen over and I'd be more likely to reach for some hardy greens than delicate asparagus.

Personally, I'd make spicy potatoes.  Spices and mustard pair well with a maple glazed ham.  So I'd parboil the potatoes then I'd toss them with olive oil, dried thyme, spicy paprika and mustard powder, and salt/pepper too.  Perhaps rosemary too.  Roast until golden.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 25 Jan 13 3:10pm

victor.vandort.353

Member since Fri 25 Jan 13

I'm in the UK so asparagus is easy to pick up at pretty much any time of the year. On the griddle pan is the only way I like it too due to the delicious nutty taste it gives off.

Many thanks for your suggestions. Sounds perfect to me!

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 25 Jan 13 5:05pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Oh, yes asparagus is "available" all year round here in NY too, but that doesn't mean it's any good and I try my best to buy locally grown foods rather than foods that have been shipped from god-knows-where across the globe.  Produce like that is usually quite expensive, tasteless because it has been harvested before it is actually ripened, and carries a heavy carbon footprint.  I don't mean to be judgy judgy but when I show up to a dinner party in the dead of winter and get served up an asparagus I am more confused than anything.  Here is a long list of vegetables that are seasonal in the winter time, if you enjoy any of them I could give you an awesome recipe for it and then you can wait with anticipation for the gorgeous asparagus of spring like I do.... Taking care to serve vegetables that are in season will not go unnoticed by your guests, and it also ensures freshness and seasonality.  It's something to think about.

Beets
Cabbage
Endive
Celery
Chicory
Dark leafy greens
Jerusalem artichokes
Turnips
Cauliflower
Brussel Sprouts
Rutabaga
Broccoli
Parships
Fennel (EXCELLENT WITH PORK!!)
Rapini
Carrots
Kale
Leeks

I was once talking to a friend who was so annoyed she couldn't find fresh figs and the recipe she was reading required fresh figs... it was March.  My eyes rolled to the back of my head.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 25 Jan 13 9:52pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

This question was asked on the "Ask me a cooking question". Suggestions were made there.

Last edited by Maree (Fri 25 Jan 13 9:54pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Fri 25 Jan 13 9:54pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Maree wrote:

Co-incidentally, theis exact question was asked by another member on the "Ask me a cooking question". Suggestions were made there.

Same member, same question....Do keep up Maree..... big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 25 Jan 13 9:56pm

Maree

Forum super champ

You again, Wine-O wink. No coffee as yet. Refer to edited post wink big_smile.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 25 Jan 13 10:01pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Maree wrote:

You again, Wine-O wink. No coffee as yet. Refer to edited post wink big_smile.

But I have already quoted you!

(No cheating this time...) wink

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 25 Jan 13 10:10pm

Maree

Forum super champ

I actually edited it twice big_smile.

Likes (0)