forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 26 Feb 07 7:41pm

sarahhorton

Occupation Wife, Mum, Carer and Housewife.
From Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Member since Sun 11 Feb 07

tesco soup & broth mix

ive bought a tesco soup &  broth mix which has
pearl barley
yellow split peas
green split peas
marrowfat peas
and
red split lentles

ive cooked it and now its just sitting there at the bottom of the pan waving at me to do something with it.........but what

what can i add to it to make it taste gorgous ????
please help
sarah

oops

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 26 Feb 07 10:14pm

sewell

Member since Mon 26 Feb 07

Re: tesco soup & broth mix

hi sarah, ive got a great recipe for this that will feed the whole family...
i often make this and it goes down a treat.

Ingredients

1 1/2lb Bacon Pieces
3 Carrots
1 Onion
1 Leek
6 Potatoes
1 sachet of Tesco's Soup & Broth Mix

Method...

Boil in a pressure cooker the bacon pieces with the soup mix for about half an hour with 2 pints of water.
As the Bacon and Soup mix are cooking, Blend the carrots, Onion, Leek and Potatoes in a blender.
After about half an hour add the Blended vegetables to the pan with the bacon and leave to simmer for around 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
And thats it, I usually make some dumpling mix and add the dumplings to the pan about 20 minutes before the soup is cooked.
Simply serve with Some nice walm crusty bread.

Good Luck...You will Love it

Zoe smile

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Feb 07 1:24pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Hiya Sarah.

Broth & Soup Mix isn't a basis for broths, soups or stews, but is the dried veg you add to give "body" to them.

The usual method is to prepare the ingredients which will give it flavour and character (the meat, vegetables and stock), then add the pre-soaked mix about 45-60 mins before the end of the end of the cooking time so that it absorbs the flavours of the other ingredients, and thickens the stew/soup/broth.

So - here are a few tips.

Meat - choose what you like, remembering that red meats have more flavour than white, and that the "tougher" meats (shin beef, oxtail, pork hock, lamb shank, poultry thighs etc.) have more flavour and texture. Meat should be browned well before being added to the stewpan. Keep the bones in for extra flavour and "smoothness" (you can remove them before serving if you like).

Vegetables - there is a traditional "trinity" of vegetables which go well together. Onion, carrot & celery are the basis for many traditional dishes. Cut the veg large rather than small, especially if the cooking time will be long. Other root veg (turnip/swede, parsnip, celeriac etc. go well. Fry the onions in the same pan as the meat until softened, maybe until golden brown, and fry the veg in the same pan. add to the stew pan with the meat. Tomatoes - fresh or tinned, can add flavour and texture. If using broth/soup mix, don't add dried pulses and grains - these are in the mix already. Mushrooms - wild and mixed preferably - add lots of flavour - use dried if you can't get fresh, rehydrate beforehand, and add the water to the stock.

Flavourings - garlic if you like it, fresh herbs if you can, dried otherwise - all add flavour. The traditional mix of "parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme" work well together. If you have celery tops and leaves, cho an add these. A pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger can enhance beef & lamb. Try a strip of thinly pared orange rind with beef. Tomato paste is a useful addition if you have it. Curry spices in small quantities are a useful addition, but limit their use unless you are making a curry. A dash of Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce orfish sauce will enhance the flavour. Season with ground black pepper, and salt if necessary at the end, when you have tasted it.

Stock - a good stock is essential! Make your own if you can, but use a concentrated boullion if not, or "stock cubes" if necessary (but beware the amount of salt they contain). Boil the stock in the frying pan you used for the meat and veg, and scrape up all the bits from the bottom of the pan, then addto he stewpan.

Water - only use as much as necessary if too thin, boil it down at the end.

Thickening - don't use unless necessary. Fork soups and broths, liquidise half the finished dish - this will thicken naturally. alternatively, potatoes added early on will add thickness naturally.

Experiment! - taste as you go, and try to balance the flavours (hot sweet, sour, salt, umami).

Enjoy!

Last edited by GeoffP (Tue 27 Feb 07 1:28pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 27 Feb 07 11:26pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Cooked and pureed carrots in a stw or soup will thicken it - it makes stews very glossy.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 29 Sep 09 5:52pm

Evrae

From Bolton, Lancs. Uk
Member since Thu 20 Apr 06

I have just grabbed some too for the first time. They have been soaking overnight and I was thinking of adding some to my rice instead of having veg for a change with a fish in sauce. Might add some stock for flavour though.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 29 Sep 09 5:59pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

sewell wrote:

hi sarah, ive got a great recipe for this that will feed the whole family...
i often make this and it goes down a treat.

Ingredients

1 1/2lb Bacon Pieces
3 Carrots
1 Onion
1 Leek
6 Potatoes
1 sachet of Tesco's Soup & Broth Mix

Method...

Boil in a pressure cooker the bacon pieces with the soup mix for about half an hour with 2 pints of water.
As the Bacon and Soup mix are cooking, Blend the carrots, Onion, Leek and Potatoes in a blender.
After about half an hour add the Blended vegetables to the pan with the bacon and leave to simmer for around 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
And thats it, I usually make some dumpling mix and add the dumplings to the pan about 20 minutes before the soup is cooked.
Simply serve with Some nice walm crusty bread.

Good Luck...You will Love it

Zoe smile

A nice little recipe, I've used it myself ............& as an alternative to the dumplings, why not get some good sausages & squeeze dumpling-sized lumps out of the skins, roll them in your hands a bit & pop them into the soup, Serve when cooked.
Different flavoured sausages can be used to lend a bit of spice & variety too.

Last edited by minerva (Tue 29 Sep 09 6:00pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 26 Jan 13 4:20pm

Slasha666

Member since Thu 20 Jan 11

Make a nice bit off stock with some Beef and beef bones, marrow bone is best but other bones will do, my butcher gives them to me for free, shin of beef works very well with this, needs a fair bit of cooking usually, (I use a pressure cooker, and cook for about an hour), but it's got plenty of flavour and it's reasonably cheap!
1Lbw Beef, Lamb, or chicken
1Lbw of bones
2-3 onions
2-3 carrots
2 sticks of celery or half a celeriac
1/2 a bunch of thyme
salt (I don't actually use salt, I use Thai fish sauce)
pepper
then you can add this lovely broth mix, the amounts are in percent so for 100g of this mix you add 30g of Dried Pearl Barley so for larger amount simply multiply
Dried Yellow & Green Split Peas(35%), (17.5% off each)
Dried Pearl Barley (30%),
Dried Marrowfat Peas (10%),
Dried Red Split Lentils (5%),
Dried Aduki Beans (5%),
Dried Barley Flakes (4%)
To make stock, fry some onions till they're lightly browned add the bones and meat and brown, the chuck some carrots, celery or celeriac, garlic if you like, add water till covered, salt and pepper and cook for an hour or so, longer is better, the vegetables are only there to give flavour, once you've made your stock strain it, to get all the bones out, now you can use it to make soups and stews, for a very a delicious soup/broth add some chorizo sausage!!
Best thing to do, is experiment with the proportions of ingredients till it suits your taste and you can of course add other veg as well.
Don't forget to soak your dry ingredients, preferably overnight, I normally cook them separately till tender and add them then smile

Last edited by Slasha666 (Sat 26 Jan 13 4:26pm)

Likes (0)