forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#781 Sat 26 Jan 13 11:12am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Ask me a cooking question

henry.wong.148 - check Heston Blumenthal's website for bacon ice cream!

Likes (0)

#782 Sat 26 Jan 13 11:20am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Meat & Potato Pie.  Or, to be PC, Potato & Meat Pie (for bought ones).

Who amongst you have what you consider the best recipe for this dish, please?  Hubby (from Wigan) is desperate to taste what were his local pies and although I've made acceptable ones, it seems to lack that 'magic'.  No worries about my pastry, just the innards.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Likes (0)

#783 Sat 26 Jan 13 12:03pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Mm, innards.

There'll be plenty of those if you buy it from a supermarket. The question is, whose innards?

Likes (0)

#784 Sat 26 Jan 13 12:14pm

Thistledo

hippytea, the supermarkets do not stock Wigan pies.  Hubby has communicated with Greenhalghs(?) of Wigan and they don't sell to supermarkets, nor will they post any.  I did say hubby was desperate, didn't I?

Don't trust any 'innards' now but then I've always made my own pies. wink

Likes (0)

#785 Sat 26 Jan 13 9:54pm

ann.moss.75

Member since Sat 26 Jan 13

I am a lorry driver and I need some healthy alternatives for lunch  I dont have access to a cooker so just cold food ideas.  Quick and easy too coz Im usually to knackered to do much after 10 hours in a lorry  Thanx for any ideas. Ann

Likes (0)

#786 Sat 26 Jan 13 11:39pm

js2243

Member since Thu 01 Jan 70

Hey bit of a random one, but please bare with me and as we jogg on, either laugh with me, or at me, or in short, do any thing, -only keep your temper.

Me and my girlfriend has a bit of a quarrel the other day because we were trying to decide which were the two most sexy and two least sexy herbs in the world. I said that the two most sexy were coriander and basil, and that the two least sexy were chives and bay. She (almost unbelievably) said that the sexiest were coriander and PARSLEY (!!??!?!?) and the two least sexy were dill and thyme. Dill I can understand.... but thyme?

Anyway to cut a long story short, we'd really appreciate as much input as possible on this one, would help settle a few scores and maybe help us get back on track with the things that matter!!!
Many thanks.

Likes (0)

#787 Sun 27 Jan 13 3:51am

Thistledo

Well now, js, what can I say? 

BASIL is certainly top of my list for being the sexiest, headiest and tastiest herb there is.
Runner-up is (sorry) THYME - my most used herb of all.
Can I cheat and submit a third?  ROSEMARY.  Not only can you put it in your bath water for relaxation but it's just great with lamb, etc.

Least sexiest, for me, TARAGON - far too over-powering.  What can be sexy about FENNEL?  Quite nice but not as versatile as my two favourites.
PARSLEY is not sexy.  You hearing this?

Please don't squabble with your girlfriend over such things.  Don't like to think of you falling out over such a matter.  wink.

You two need to get out more, eh?

This has been fun.  smile

Likes (0)

#788 Sun 27 Jan 13 4:10pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Yes, basil is sexy in a flashy, flimsy way, but give me rosemary over that floozy any day. It's got experience. It's seen the world. And it's got stamina - stick it in a casserole and it's still going strong eight hours later, after all your flimsy, leafy numbers are long gone.

What the hell am I talking about?

I blame Nigella.

ann.moss do you have time to make a pasty? Home made are best. If you want to lighten it and cut the fat intake, use bread dough to make a calzone, or just flour and water dough kneaded and rolled thin and glazed with egg.

Or home made sausage rolls. I use a scone recipe for the crust instead of pastry (lighter and quicker to make) and experiment with different flavourings in the sausagemeat. I like pork sausagemeat with grated apple mixed through it. Let me know if any of these interest you and I could try and knock up a recipe for it.

Likes (0)

#789 Sun 27 Jan 13 4:28pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

hippytea wrote:

Yes, basil is sexy in a flashy, flimsy way, but give me rosemary over that floozy any day. It's got experience. It's seen the world. And it's got stamina - stick it in a casserole and it's still going strong eight hours later, after all your flimsy, leafy numbers are long gone.

What the hell am I talking about?.

I don't know what you are talking about..But that is the  funniest description of Basil I've ever come across.. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#790 Sun 27 Jan 13 4:37pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

lol   Curry leaf is the sexiest herb!  Good-looking, exotic, satisfying, complex, it has it all!

Likes (0)