"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#4 Sun 27 Jan 13 1:16pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Granulated garlic powder

What's so funny?  There are certain applications where granulated garlic works much better than fresh garlic, sorry to say.  I always use it in meat rubs for example, fresh garlic just burns.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 27 Jan 13 2:09pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hate any garlic that's been processed almost beyond recognition.  I can always taste if it's not fresh.  Fresh garlic wouldn't burn if you mixed it with a little oil first and maybe your heat's too high.  I crush my garlic which comes out as a fine mince and works perfectly well as a rub.  In fact you could also halve a clove and rub the meat with the cut side.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 27 Jan 13 11:26pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Thistledo wrote:

Hate any garlic that's been processed almost beyond recognition.  I can always taste if it's not fresh.  Fresh garlic wouldn't burn if you mixed it with a little oil first and maybe your heat's too high.  I crush my garlic which comes out as a fine mince and works perfectly well as a rub.  In fact you could also halve a clove and rub the meat with the cut side.

If it's for a steak or for getting a good sear then fresh garlic most certainly does burn, there's no way around that if you're want a good sear.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 28 Jan 13 4:02am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I usually buy large sliced dehydrated garlic   and then grind it in my spice grinder to a powder when I need it.  It is certainly a different flavour profile to fresh but also one I love in certain applications.  Often I will reinforce different levels of garlic flavour  with a combos of fresh, roasted and powdered.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#8 Mon 28 Jan 13 6:46am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

koukouvagia wrote:

What's so funny?

Granulated Garlic Powder !
To me granulated is like tiny nibs as in granulated sugar
And powder is another !
That's what made me laugh  lol it did not make sense to me before the obvious was stated .. If you don't have any you could use fresh garlic .

I only use fresh garlic but I can see Ashen's idea of having dried sliced garlic and grinding it at home  as a handy idea to go into things like dry rubs for meat.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 28 Jan 13 12:34pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Ashen wrote:

I usually buy large sliced dehydrated garlic   and then grind it in my spice grinder to a powder when I need it.  It is certainly a different flavour profile to fresh but also one I love in certain applications.  Often I will reinforce different levels of garlic flavour  with a combos of fresh, roasted and powdered.

I've never seen sliced dehydrated garlic.  I wonder if it's possible to make it myself.  I don't particularly like the idea of having to use garlic powder but it definitely comes in handy for rubs and I'd rather do that than have burned garlic.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 28 Jan 13 1:45pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Try Asian grocers for sliced, dehydrated garlic.  It has a more fresh flavor to me than powdered or granulated.

Likes (0)