forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sun 27 Jan 13 4:16pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: herby potatoes to compliment maple ham???

Koukouvagia, why not serve it at a dinner party if you're happy eating it yourself? I mean, is it that you don't think they're classy enough? I'm genuinely curious.

I'd totally serve frozen peas to guests. Once it's frozen, seasonality isn't a concern any more. My only concern with frozen food is does it freeze well? Peas do, so I'd serve them any time, and I'd sooner serve frozen peas than fresh peas that have lost their sweetness.

That of course assumes they haven't been imported halfway across the world. That's a whole other issue.

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 27 Jan 13 9:38pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

My seasonality bias  as pretty much any other regarding food , local vs imported,conventional vs organic etc  all comes down to taste.  Seasonal , local , organic are all good things but if the other option tastes great I will buy it without qualm

frozen peas are a great example of a excellent product that can be used yearround without seasonality consideration.  Saying you wouldn't use them is like saying you won't  use tomatoes you have jarred in the summer because they are out of season now.  Much of so called seasonal winter veg , is seasonal because it is veg that  can be perserved or has long storage.

Enough of the thread hijack , back to original poster.

Herbs aren't the only flavourings that could be used, if you expand there are many spices and flavours that pair up in an excellent way with maple.   coffee(tiny pinch of espresso powder) , vanilla, citrus zest or juices. nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice. black pepper, hot pepper flakes, garlic.

Last edited by Ashen (Sun 27 Jan 13 9:40pm)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#23 Sun 27 Jan 13 11:20pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

hippytea, what could be classier than beautiful little sweet peas bursting with flavor?  My absolute favorite and I do eat them plenty, as does my toddler who eats them every day.  Just today I tossed them in some pasta with mushrooms for a quick lunch. I wouldn't mind serving them to guests if they were tucked in a chicken pot pie or a fried rice dish.  But to serve a simple side of minted peas or a pea soup - not a chance if they're not in season.  Truth be told, even if they are in season it's very likely I'd use the frozen ones anyway.  But serving them as the star of the dish seems really gauche, I don't know how else to describe it.  When something is in season I try to celebrate it in all its glory, when it's not in season I'll use it but possibly not as a star feature. 

Ashen, for example of course I use tomatoes year round.  In the summer I load up on as many fresh ones as I can.  I roast them and crush them and freeze them in batches.  I use them year round in stews, soups, braises, pasta sauces etc.  I also use lots of canned tomatoes too.  However, in the winter time you will not see me serving up a tomato salad or a gazpacho.  That's just me.  If I'm really hankering for a BLT on my day off I'll buy a tomato for sure, but I wouldn't serve it up at a dinner party.  Am I not making some sort of sense?

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 28 Jan 13 10:19pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Well, I probably am gauche. I invite people round and serve them slow-cooker meatballs and bread. I'm content with my lot.

Likes (0)

#25 Tue 29 Jan 13 9:01am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

hippytea wrote:

Well, I probably am gauche. I invite people round and serve them slow-cooker meatballs and bread. I'm content with my lot.

I would be content with that too.  yummy  yummy

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#26 Tue 29 Jan 13 11:30am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

And me. Food is nothing without love and friendship. I'd be happy to be served bread and Vegemite (replace with Marmite etc- you get the drift) if it meant I was spending time with people I cared about.

What was the original topic think ?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#27 Tue 29 Jan 13 11:53am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Maree wrote:

What was the original topic think ?

A question that could be asked on 90% of threads.... mrgreen

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 29 Jan 13 12:55pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Touché wink

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#29 Tue 29 Jan 13 1:27pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

hippytea wrote:

Meatballs and bread are always in season.  What would be gauche about that?

Likes (0)

#30 Tue 29 Jan 13 7:11pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Meatballs and bread are always in season.

So are frozen peas.

Seasonality, for me, is about quality and environmental concerns. Once you freeze a vegetable, the season has no impact on either of these. So I genuinely would serve frozen peas, steamed with butter, at a January dinner party to which I had invited Morgan Freeman and the Queen. And I would be proud.

As for the meatballs and bread, well, sometimes it's not hand-made artisanal sourdough spelt bread.

Sometimes it's supermarket sliced.

big_smile

Likes (0)