forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#291 Mon 18 Oct 10 9:46pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Risotto

awesome.. smile

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#292 Fri 01 Feb 13 2:10pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Cheers Ashen for pointing me to the biggest risotto thread.
I thought Risotto is a good one to bring up again.Inspired by Merlinís Italian Thread and the superb fennel chilli risotto recipe on the web site
I made stock using Gordon Ramsayís Secrets book, this is the way forward. Homemade stock makes the risotto; Gordonís stocks are the best. Jamieís risotto method is the best.
I have altered stocks in the past to go with certain risottos. Summer vegetable, was one. Borage was only 10p in Waitrose, on account no one knew much about it. Itís one of the key ingredients in a classic ĎPimms  drinkí. Courgettes were small and tasty, so began the experiment. 
Star anise for prawn and pea risotto was another good call. Inspiration from Gordonís ĎVegetable Nageí.

Likes (0)

#293 Fri 01 Feb 13 10:12pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

Favourite risotto rice or recommendations?

http://www.risoferron.com/
Waitrose U.K.  is my next choice, their cooks section.
I first picked up Ferron in  Germany, South Germany is near North  Italy, so Munich has some good Italian contacts.   In Munich ,the small but great deli at V. Market (where Jamie filmed for food fight) and quite a few shops sell this rice. In the U.K. last time I looked Rick Stein and one mail order shop sold it, perhaps we have caught up, I hope so.
I have had fantastic risottos with Ferron and Waitrose. Ferron is King though!

Likes (0)

#294 Fri 01 Feb 13 11:03pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I do a riff on Gordon's vegetable nage  to use for poaching seafood when I make a cold mixed seafood salad  with shaved fennel and parsley.  lemon and good olive oil dressing.   once your done poaching  the nage is so good to use for other things.  yummy  yummy  As long as you remember not to use it for the squid or baby octopus. At that point that is all it tastes like.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#295 Tue 19 Feb 13 12:03am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

That salad does sound cool, I made Gordonís fish stock what a difference, to my previous fish stocks,  wonderful sauces have come as a result. Gordonís Secrets book is a must have. I got lucky in a charity shop some months back. EBay has some of Gordonís earlier books at a good price. That said there worth every penny if you pay full price.
I like the idea of using the poaching liquid again

Likes (0)