Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 31 Jan 13 11:30pm

Mavispink

Member since Wed 30 Jan 13

British hot dogs?

Hello!

Can anyone recommend hot dogs that are ethically produced in the Britain with good quality meat?

I know Helen Browning has a range but want to see if there are any other companies.

THANK YOU!

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 31 Jan 13 11:52pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Re: British hot dogs?

I had some cool ones in Germany , alas most ones I have had come from factory origins, some are not. Hermandshoffer  is I think the name of fantastic pork products, South Germany.
In the U.K. most hot dogs I eat in the hope of re kindling childhood memories fail.  More factory farmed cheap pap.I spent a fortune on one at the cinema it was awful!
Big Apple Hot Dogs in London has a good name, they are a vendor, and perhaps they know more about this than we do.
There web site is
http://bigapplehotdogs.com/
I hope no one thinks this is  spam, I am just helping someone with a food question.
Let me know us know if you have success.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 01 Feb 13 10:54am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

My first thought is that there's a wide selection of various sausages in the marketplace and the best hotdogs are the ones you make yourself.  They're so easy and you would know what the sausages contain.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 01 Feb 13 11:34am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forum Mavispink smile

I have seen tins of hotdog sausages, I have seen jars of hotdog sausages and I have seen packets of those hotdog sausages in the chill section of the supermarket , but I have to be hnest and say that I only know 1 person who buys and eats them !

I think that for most people a hot dog is a normal sausage that is placed into a long  shaped bread roll that has may be saute onions , ketchup or some other typw of relish added.

But .. places like cinemas , Ikea etc sell those awful looking hot dog sausages , I dread to think what is in them or how they are made as I always avoided giving them to my family .
I did once try a vegetarian version as I was given it and  I dont know how I managed to eat it in order to be polite ,

Last edited by mummza (Fri 01 Feb 13 11:35am)

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 01 Feb 13 12:09pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

Ive bought sausages by our very own Mr Jamie Oliver made with Britsh pork.... I know he still does  food such as fishcakes and fish fingers among others which can be found in Sainsburys and other good supermarkets.. but these are normal sausages as opposed to those you would find in cinemas/jars/glass jars and such like...we would cook real sausages put them im a long bread roll and add fried onions and relish/kecthup....so the ones Jamie does/did(?) may not be what you mean...personally i would go for the real sausages anyday...

Last edited by joobes (Fri 01 Feb 13 12:15pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 01 Feb 13 8:27pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

mummza wrote:

But .. places like cinemas , Ikea etc sell those awful looking hot dog sausages , I dread to think what is in them or how they are made as I always avoided giving them to my family .
I did once try a vegetarian version as I was given it and  I dont know how I managed to eat it in order to be polite ,

From wiki..

Ingredients
Common hot dog ingredients include:
Meat trimmings and fat
Flavorings, such as salt, garlic, and paprika
Preservatives (cure) - typically sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite.

The term "dog" has been used as a synonym for sausage since 1884 and accusations that sausage makers used dog meat date to at least 1845. In the early 20th century, consumption of dog meat in Germany was common. The suspicion that sausages contained dog meat was "occasionally justified".

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 01 Feb 13 10:40pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

WikiP. A great place.    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotdog
I now like  Brezel mit Weiner, for breakfast. Alas this  happens, not often enough. As this is only when I am in Bavaria. My Rost Bratwurst (sausage in a finger roll) comes from Schlemmermeyer München. Very good, most people in Munich favour this stall.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 02 Feb 13 12:47am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Kye wrote:

mummza wrote:

From wiki..

Ingredients
Common hot dog ingredients include:
Meat trimmings and fat
Flavorings, such as salt, garlic, and paprika
Preservatives (cure) - typically sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite.

The term "dog" has been used as a synonym for sausage since 1884 and accusations that sausage makers used dog meat date to at least 1845. In the early 20th century, consumption of dog meat in Germany was common. The suspicion that sausages contained dog meat was "occasionally justified".

Well lets hope that the vegetarian version was dog-less !!!!

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 03 Feb 13 12:17am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

Would Tesco, Iceland or others care to comment?

Likes (0)