forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 06 Feb 13 2:57am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Stand Mixer Help Needed

My much-loved Kenwood stand mixer (30 years old) just mixed its last sad and I need to replace it urgently.

I need a machine that is strong, robust, reliable and that can cope with anything from beating egg whites to mixing bread dough. It will be used both in my work and domestically.

What would you recommend?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Wed 06 Feb 13 7:12am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Stand Mixer Help Needed

For me Maree, there's no question.  I've had my KitchenAid for a few years now and it will last my lifetime.  It IS robust.  It's heavy, meaning it won't 'travel' around the worktop.  The acton of the mixer attachments are extremely good, reaching virtually all areas of the bowl.  It's also quite quiet.

Yes, I can thoroughly recommend my almost best friend.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 06 Feb 13 7:38am

Maree

Forum super champ

Thank you, Thistledo smile. The kitchen equipment places here recommend them, too. Wasn't sure whether it was because of their price or not. Not having bought one for so long, it was a surprise that many (if not most) of the less "glamorous" brands are a similar price these days. They do have a good warranty, I must admit.

Will look into it more closely tomorrow.

Thanks again smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 06 Feb 13 11:15am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I love my KitchenAid stand  mixer but if you are after attatchments than they are expensive and I dont think they have as many as the Kenwood.
The Kitchen aid is I understand run on a selection of gears to make it work.
I have been impressed with this machine but then its the only stand mixer that I have ever owned so I have nothing really to compare it with.

My sister loves her Kenwood .
She has various attatchments that she uses sometimes .
I am not sure how your present attatchments would fit a new machine.
I know that there is a more robust proffesional kenwood machine that is not a great deal larger than the domestic machine .
I presume that the proffesional model must be tougher but I am not sure, but it might be worth looking at because of the volume of use it will get making all those gourmet pet treats etc.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 06 Feb 13 2:08pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Sounds like you should have a look at commercial grade machines if you're using it for your business and for that, I can't help you, but I wouldn't recommend a home machine for constant use and large-scale production.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 06 Feb 13 2:54pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Thanks, MsP. I'm told that KitchenAid have a commercial model with a stronger motor than the domestic models. It also has an automatic cut-off switch in the case of overheating, or so I'm told. That's the one I'd be getting. Good point  thumbsup smile

Thanks, Mummza. The Kenwood attachments won't fit other than the Kenwood. To be honest, I rarely used them anyway. The stand mixer is mainly for the catering (that's human, by the way) business. I tend to use the Magimix mainly for the pet treat and meals businesses. The KitchenAid attachments are very pricey but I've found a place online that is cheaper than the regular suppliers and they are approved by KitchenAid, thankfully.

I'll check them out properly today (Thursday). Have already been informed that they have to be ordered in which is a real pain. Takes about a week, I'm told. Thankfully, I don't have a job on this weekend.

Thank you for your help, ladies. Much appreciated  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

Last edited by Maree (Wed 06 Feb 13 3:04pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 06 Feb 13 3:46pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

I love my KitchenAid.  My sister-in-law has the commercial one its great.  Sounds like that would be the one for you.  I have several atttachments for mine and have never had a problem with them.  Good luck

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 06 Feb 13 11:36pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

A good time to be buying Maree, I know we are very lucky at the moment with how affordable these things are in Australia, so make the most of it! smile

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 06 Feb 13 11:49pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Thank you, Bentpenny and Joy smile

Bentpenny, which attachments do you use?

I nearly fainted at the price of the pasta one- $350  here (and that's for the flat pasta cutting one, not the extrusion one which I couldn't be bothered with and would never use). Yikes!

Last edited by Maree (Wed 06 Feb 13 11:53pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 07 Feb 13 4:23pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

I have the sausage stuffer and meat/food grinder and slicer.  I have the pasta roller and i think they call it a fettucinne maker.  I want to get the ravoli maker, but like u said Maree they are expensive.

Likes (0)