forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 17 Jan 13 12:53am

Lesley-M

From Ireland
Member since Fri 15 Jul 05

Horsemeat in Irish burgers

Hi all, and all the best for 2013 smile

I just thought I'd say my tuppenceworth about the lastest scandal on Irish food, namely, horsemeat DNA found in frozen burgers in Irish foodchains, i.e., de BIG supermarkets - won't mention any names here, but you know what I mean wink

For a start, I don't eat "junk" food, but I think the real discussion should be about what's really in these "cheapo" frozen hamburgers, e.g., sawdust etc ... which is really much more harmful to one's health than horsemeat and which is eaten quite regularly in other cultures.

I'll drop by again to read any responses to this post.  Sorry, if its already been mentioned, but I didn't see it.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 17 Jan 13 6:58am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Horsemeat in Irish burgers

Hi Leslley-M.  I don't think anyone has suggested that horsemeat is harmful to humans, rather that it's a cultural thing.  The British just find it unacceptabled, generally, to want to eat it.  I know it was widely available during WW2, as was whale meat, etc.  Since then, however, it's been off the menu.
Is sawdust really detrimental to our health?  Guinea pigs seem to manage on it ok, lol.
Do drop in again.  Good to see you.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 17 Jan 13 8:39am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 17 Jan 13 9:06am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

I have no problem whatsoever with horse meat. Tasty but a little tougher than beef in my experience. But we really should know what we are eating.

(or be informed is what I meant)

Last edited by beerforyorky (Thu 17 Jan 13 9:07am)

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 17 Jan 13 11:12am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

sawdust maybe not.. but just about every product these days has some kind of cellulose additive especially the diet or high fibre fad products.. Guess where it comes from??   lol

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#6 Thu 17 Jan 13 2:39pm

Lesley-M

From Ireland

Hi guys, thanks for your responses.

Its not the horsemeat or sawdust that's the problem, its the fact that other "stuff" that really threatens our health, which is effectiely allowed by our "Authorities" in our general food supply that concerns me.  No mention of all that crap, e.g., toxic fertilisers and antibiotics etc...

Like a lot of other people, I'm well aware that those appointed to regulate the Food Industry etc., are far more concerned about their Image than they are about the health and welfare of the general public.  Big Bucks Profit is their "bottom line".  In that goal, they don't care what harm or damage they do to the consumers of their products.

I'm going off now to make a nice lunch of weeds and snails  big_smile

Last edited by Lesley-M (Thu 17 Jan 13 2:40pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 17 Jan 13 2:53pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Indeed Lesley-M, the supermarkets are, in my opinion, far too powerful, that combined with all the ready meals/processed food they sell (To a seemingly unaware or don't really care public) is a sure recipe for disaster..

Just take severe allergy as an example..Horse protein is different to cow protein, so some-one with a Horse meat allergy could easily have had a severe reaction to those so-callled "beef" burgers....

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 17 Jan 13 11:26pm

Lesley-M

From Ireland

wine~o wrote:

Indeed Lesley-M, the supermarkets are, in my opinion, far too powerful, that combined with all the ready meals/processed food they sell (To a seemingly unaware or don't really care public) is a sure recipe for disaster..

Just take severe allergy as an example..Horse protein is different to cow protein, so some-one with a Horse meat allergy could easily have had a severe reaction to those so-callled "beef" burgers....

My interest in this topic is primarily due to my love of nutritiion.  But, is mainly driven by the fact that I was randomly poisoned by a highly toxic pesticide in a cucumber more than 20 years ago - an event which almost killed me and which had a profoundly detrimental effect on my young daughter at the time ...

So naturally, I don't trust the Irish Food-Safety Authoritiy people , not least the Irish Authorities, per se.  None of them have given me any reason why I (for one) should trust any of them.

I reckon my late father was right when he would say: "If you want to known what's going on in the world, read the Financial Times".  In other words, if we humans are mere commodities to those in power, then ignore those guys - whether they are male or female wink

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 06 Feb 13 3:05pm

linda.cooney.12

Member since Wed 06 Feb 13

Hi ... My daughter ate a tesco burger and within 6 minutes she was in acute severe anaphylaxis  shock. She was rushed to intensive care and the doctors where unsure if she would even make it through the night. She survived thank God. I mentioned to the doctors at the time that all she had was a burger. They didn't really find out what happened to her that night. Ran tests and said she's highly allergic to a lot of things. When this burger scandal came out I just knew she nearly died because of that. She can't even go near a horse never mind consume its flesh. I'm sickened that this could have possibly ended her life. We live in Dublin.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 06 Feb 13 4:29pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

I think the real issue is, the burgers were beef burgers and not Beef/Horse Burgers.
The fact that horse had got in askes questions on what else could have got in?
Can we really trust companies that put horse in to beef burgers cattle that have died from illness or accident in to it? If they had been doing that we wouldn't know by DNA tests.

Likes (0)