#41 Fri 19 Feb 10 11:23pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Pancakes !

minerva wrote:

MsPablo wrote:

I regret that we didn't try fairy cakes and British pancakes on the short trips there.  Next time we'll be sure to ask all of you what and where. 

big_smile  Min: I will always take a "Fairy cake"over a "Cupcake".............because it's the sponge cake that I like, not all that ghastly frou-frou (sugar/butter junk that i would have to scrape off before I could eat the cake) piled up on top...........a nice bit of simple lemon flavoured glace icing & a smartie on top, or a few jellytots, or even 1/2 a cherry & a bit of angelica. Lovely!

MsP: Some things I might add to American style pancakes and this would be a typical jet-lag dinner:
- fresh squeezed orange juice, dash of Cointreau

big_smile  Min: OJ/Cointreau combo works on our thinner pancakes too.

MsP: love thin pancakes this way as well, and as a side note, French toast which was always a favorite of mine.

MsP: Flavored maple syrups:  melt butter and maple syrup with:  blueberries, strawberries, orange juice, blackberries.  Using these helps cut down a bit on how much butter and syrup you need to use.

big_smile  Min: I never feel the need to add butter to my pancakes. Because I use free-range eggs in the batter, adding butter gilds the lily........you can no longer taste the egg.

Oi, missus, if only.  I cooked in France where I was staying in houses/apartments a couple of times, the eggs were Glorious!  I can relate to what you're saying.  Here, the topping is usually butter/syrup and that is typically Dutch from my experience, again, with savory or sweet, although here we use maple syrup.  Maybe these traditions came over from the Dutch, I'm no food historian

Likes (0)

#42 Mon 11 Feb 13 11:38pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

well I am ready for tommorrow to make pancakes, not sure what we will be putting on them this year ,, I will see what happens tommorrow !

Likes (0)

#43 Mon 11 Feb 13 11:53pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I'm not sure I've already said it here before, my preferite have simply sugar and lemon juice on top smile

Likes (0)

#44 Tue 12 Feb 13 12:15am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Grandmadamada wrote:

I'm not sure I've already said it here before, my preferite have simply sugar and lemon juice on top smile

My Dad was the cook in our family and that's how he served them, Mada. These days I only make them when the kids are visiting: breakfast might be with blueberries or with maple syrup. Dessert (rare here) might be crepe-style with orange juice and a dash of Cointreau. I used to make blinis (some buckwheat) or the "silver dollar" (tiny) ones as canapés with cream cheese or creme fraiche and smoked salmon. These days, I only make them if I'm being paid. So fiddley.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#45 Tue 12 Feb 13 8:19am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Most  supermarkets here seem to sell packets of pre made pancakes ,the thin crepe style pancakes rather than the thicker American style ones )  I have tried one once at one of those stands where they give you samples and was really disappointed with the texture . It was quite rubbery and not good.
Not at all like the softness of a fresh made very thin pancake straight from the pan.

If I get round to it I will be off to buy some buckwheat flour to make savoury pancakes tonight . Large thin pancakes folded around a savoury filling . I bought mushrooms yesterday but the supermarket that I'd called at did not stock the flour.

For sweeter pancakes , gone are the days of the 'crazy pancakes' as the family used to call them , crazy pancakes where the freinds used to sit around the table that had a huge stack of pancakes and dishes of all manner if toppings eating them all till the pancakes were all gone, it was great fun .
Nowadays it's more just a sprinkle of sugar and a splash of lemon juice or some maple syrup that we have on the sweeter pancakes . But we shall see ....  smile

Likes (0)

#46 Tue 12 Feb 13 5:47pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

We had pancakes today, I used Jamie´s recipy that he posted on twitter - I was curious how long it would take me and I had forgotten about the pancake day!

We had a quickly put-together compote with bananas and white grapes and some yoghurt seasoned with honey and orange zests with it. The compote and yogurt was ready when the pancakes where ready to eat.

Even though I´m down with a cold right now it was a good idea, and all in all it didn´t take more than 20 minutes, which was good for me because I don´t have the strength to stand in the kitchen for long. The result was really lovely, so thanx Jamie for the idea! It really lifted my mood up!

Likes (0)

#47 Tue 12 Feb 13 6:25pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

People all over the world simultaneously cooking pancakes....not me...Chicken tikka masala, veggie curry, coconut rice and naan....

Oh....and I don't give anything up for lent either... tongue

Likes (0)

#48 Tue 12 Feb 13 7:41pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

my great nephew made pancakes today using the pan that I sent  to him and he sent me a message to let me know how good the pann was and how hed learned to flip the pancakes .

we will be having our pancakes shortly , I did not get to the shop to buy the bckwheat flour, never mind so it will be savory pancakes made with white flour, followed by a sweet pancake with lemon and sugar or maple syrup.

Likes (0)