forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Sun 20 Jan 13 10:47am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Re: Canned Tomatoes......

Prevention mag "7 foods that should never cross your lips..and the winner is...
http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy- … d-tomatoes

Organic Tomatoes "...We confirm that the lining of our organic canned tomatoes does contain Bisphenol A, BPA...."
http://www.bodyearth.net/health/bpa-and … -tomatoes/

On the bright side
http://www.edenfoods.com/faqs/view.php?categories_id=6

"France bans contested chemical BPA in food packaging"
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/france … sCatID=351

whistle

Likes (0)

#52 Tue 12 Feb 13 8:55am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have been out and bought some chopped and some whole tinned tomatoes so that I can compare them to see the difference .
I bought a cheaper value type range of the tomatoes and one of the more commonly available brands of chopped and whole tinned tomatoes and have plans to compare then to see the difference in how much , if any extra liquid is in the chopped tomatoes !
Will take photos !

Likes (0)

#53 Tue 12 Feb 13 9:30am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Sounds good, Mummza. Look forward to the results. Guess your family is going to be eating lots of tomato-based dishes in the next little while in the name of science wink

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#54 Tue 12 Feb 13 9:59am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Only 4 cans of tomatoes Maree so I can make a quick batch of pasta sauce with them !

Likes (0)

#55 Tue 12 Feb 13 11:04am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

mummza wrote:

Only 4 cans of tomatoes Maree so I can make a quick batch of pasta sauce with them !

I'm making the most of high Summer's fresh tomatoes from the balcony and from the five-days-a-week farmers' market around the corner at the moment. The cooler weather won't be far away ... Then, tinned tomatoes will revisit my kitchen for curries, soups and braises. I don't eat pasta and don't like tomato-based sauces. I make for others but don't eat myself.

Look forward to hearing the results from your experiment. Wonder how they'll transfer to the brands of tinned tomatoes available here. I only buy tinned tomatoes that use Australian tomatoes (becoming more difficult week by week as supermarket "own brands" using imported product take over shelf space) Got to support the local industry where we can.

Last edited by Maree (Tue 12 Feb 13 12:01pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#56 Sat 16 Feb 13 12:37pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Mummza - for a fair comparison, you would need to chop up the whole tomatoes before comparing.

The reason I say this is that tomatoes contain a lot of watery juice inside them. With chopped tomatoes this will come out and mix with the thicker canning juice, making it look thin, whereas with whole tomatoes the watery stuff stays inside each fruit, and the canning juice outside stays thicker.

My hypothesis is that this is what makes chopped tomatoes look more watery than whole ones.

Likes (0)

#57 Sat 16 Feb 13 12:48pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

dont worry Hipptea I had thought of that , I will photograph them whole then chopped plus a photograph of the contents of the chopped tomatoes .

Likes (0)

#58 Sun 17 Feb 13 9:18am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

"a photograph of the contents of the chopped tomatoes". I hope you will be posting the photographs to a place where us Luddites will be able to view them.

Likes (0)

#59 Sun 17 Feb 13 11:26am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

yes, I plan to post them on the blogs , will try to do this next weekend when I know I can use the tomatoes !

Likes (0)