Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 12 Feb 13 8:50am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Sliced bread !

Now be honest here ... Do you eat sliced bread ?
I was going to say ,do you buy sliced bread but as not everyone is responsible for the shopping I thought I'd ask if you ate it instead !

Here in the Uk many small bakers shops have disappeared over the years , replaced by cook on the premises bakery's in supermarkets of chains of bakeries with smaller high street shops.

Dispite there being a bit of a revival of artisan loaves or people making their own bread with bread makers vast amounts of the mass produced and pre pacet sliced bread gets sold every day.

I am not that find of sliced bread myself but it is usefull sometimes and so I do buy the very very occasional loaf , just on that odd occasion I am fancying a nostalgic tasting 'chip butty' with tomato ketchup dribbling through the chips. For some reason  that is what I like ..very soft spongy White sliced bread , buttered and chips . 

It's rare I eat the mass produced ready sliced bread , but if I am given it at someone's house or end up buying a pack of sandwiches as I travel or something then I will eat it .

So that's me .. What about you ?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 12 Feb 13 1:37pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Sliced bread !

I do buy sliced whole grain bread but less and less of it these days.  I'm actually very annoyed with bread these days, I try to find bread and it all has sugar in it.  Sugar!  Why do we need sugar in bread? 

There's nothing better than tuna salad on whole wheat in my opinion but like I said, after having developed the habit of reading ingredients carefully I am quite unimpressed of what is offered to us on the market.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 12 Feb 13 5:32pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Personally, I detest that steamed, sliced and doughy white bread.  Can't remember when I detested it last, lol.

You would certainly notice the difference if there was no sugar in bread - it would be lacking.  Same as salt.  In a medium loaf, in my breadmaker, there is a teaspoon of each.  Pretty harmless for a whole loaf.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 12 Feb 13 5:52pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

The only sliced bread I occasionally buy is Toast, because you can´t get that at a bakery.

We buy the bread (our fave at the moment contains 60% rye and 40% wheat) at our local bakery, they have several shops in the area, but only use natural ingredients. They´re really good, but in Germany we are lucky to still have many pretty good bakeries.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 12 Feb 13 6:08pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

one 400gr white sliced loaf per week for mrs. w~o's  toast....apart from that.....nah.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 12 Feb 13 7:52pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

koukouvagia . bread has some sugar in it as it helps the yeast to work and I beleive it also helps the bake of the crust .
Salt also serves as a function in the dough , not just there for the taste and I cant remember the reason why its added at the moment sorry !

we make the bread with very little salt have gradually reduced it over time, so on the odd occasion when I eat bought bread ( not usually presliced ) but generally from a bakers shop , I really notice how salty it tastes.
I think that most Italian bread has no salt added to the dough .

My darling makes a light coloured Rye loaf Maddimouse , its really delicious.
One of the my favorite breads that he makes has to be the sunflower seed loaf , he just adds a load of sunflower seeds to the white bread dough and its being made. Its a really delicious loaf of bread.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 12 Feb 13 10:20pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

if by sliced bread you mean, as you later said " soft spongy White sliced bread "  then no I hardly ever eat that.  We do buy presliced bread but it is usually some sort of rye loaf.  It probably won't suprise many people here , but I am quite particular about what bread I like. Occasionally I will request mywife   buy some good bread, she knows this means a crusty italian or portuguese loaf or bare minimum a baguette.
My wife grew up with homemade soft white bread, as a compromise light rye has seemed to become our standard loaf .

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#8 Tue 12 Feb 13 10:43pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Very occasionally we buy some sliced gluten-free bread - but really maybe only a loaf every couple of months or so (which goes in the freezer), as we'd rather not have bread than eat the gluten-free substitutes!

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 12 Feb 13 10:55pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Ashen wrote:

if by sliced bread you mean, as you later said " soft spongy White sliced bread "  then no I hardly ever eat that.  .

yes I mean that Ashen .. not what I think of as real bread at all but many do !!

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 13 Feb 13 12:07pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I certainly understand that in making bread there have to be a few ingredients present such as flour, yeast. water, salt and a perhaps a bit of sugar.  But in a standard loaf of sliced bread in a plastic bag from the supermarket you will find many many many more ingredients than just that.  Have you ever bought a loaf of Wonder Bread?  I have, and do you know how long it stays fluffy and white?  Weeks.  Does that sound normal?  No.  In fact, Wonder Bread does not have the ingredients available to be found online, they are photographed and posted by other sources instead.  Like this one: http://theysmell.com/wonder-bread-ingredients/

Likes (0)