forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#851 Thu 14 Feb 13 12:17am

lestat_68

Member
Occupation Industrial Engineer
From Puebla, México
Member since Wed 06 Feb 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

mummza wrote:

MsPablo wrote:

lestat_68 wrote:

Thank you Maree, i was looking for more information based in the word "rostisserie" and now i have an idea very clear about it. I think Jamie used in that recipe a mechanical device to rotate the spit slowly, it semmed like an old device, maybe made with an old clock mechanism. 
Best regards, and thank you again.
L big_smile estat

I remember that show.  He had an old clock turning the spit which he claimed was an antique find or as we say, 'flea market find'.  You might find a modern spit is more affordable and easier to clean.

That was shown a long time ago here in the UK
It wasn't a clock but some other wind up mechanism that was pretty old . It was driven by what is called a clock-work mechanism as you wind it up with some sort of key .
I did ,at the time the program was shown, manage to find a picture of something similar on the Internet .
I will try to remember to look again later when I am on the main computer as I'm posting from my phone at the moment.

Thank you again, would be excellent to have this picture.

regards thumbsup

    Likes (0)

#852 Thu 14 Feb 13 9:00am

hippytea

Member
Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Ask me a cooking question

lestat_68, you could call it a rotisserie - but it is also called a clockwork spit roaster or clockwork roasting spit ("spit" is the word for the long rotating skewer you attach the meat to).

I wouldn't try and get one exactly the same as Jamie has in the show (was "Jamie at Home" if I remember rightly) as it was an antique and would be difficult to find. But try Googling, you might find something similar. You may have better luck Googling these terms than "rotisserie", as that can mean a number of different devices, including electric ones.

    Likes (0)

#853 Thu 14 Feb 13 10:42am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: Ask me a cooking question

looking for "organic" meat in London is there any chance?? and if not, at a supermarket would you buy calf for a child, thinking the way they are fed to grow in a  short time, would you prefer beef, and more which or any part (filetto, muscolo, girello) since it has to be run through a food processor

........ my nipotina will soon eat in a childrens' school her lunch wish me good luck smile  help  crossed

    Likes (0)

#854 Thu 14 Feb 13 3:55pm

lestat_68

Member
Occupation Industrial Engineer
From Puebla, México
Member since Wed 06 Feb 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

hippytea wrote:

lestat_68, you could call it a rotisserie - but it is also called a clockwork spit roaster or clockwork roasting spit ("spit" is the word for the long rotating skewer you attach the meat to).

I wouldn't try and get one exactly the same as Jamie has in the show (was "Jamie at Home" if I remember rightly) as it was an antique and would be difficult to find. But try Googling, you might find something similar. You may have better luck Googling these terms than "rotisserie", as that can mean a number of different devices, including electric ones.

Thank you hippytea, i hope at least to find something similar to these clockwork spit roaster. The idea is to cook in my garden in a hole at red hot embers... maybe a little pig or a pork leg.
Best regards
big_smile

    Likes (0)

#855 Thu 14 Feb 13 8:28pm

HannahRP

Member
Member since Mon 11 Feb 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

I love my Jamie recipe books and use them all the time. However when using my Le Cruset oven dish on the hob (electric hob - cooking quick dauphinoise potatoes) - the dish cracked! I then checked (a bit too late I know) and discovered that I couldn't use the dish on the hob.
I thought all Le Cruset could be used on the hob as well as in the oven!
So, my question is what type of dish can I use on the hob and in the oven? O and where can I get one?? Thanks, Hannah xx smile

    Likes (0)

#856 Thu 14 Feb 13 8:58pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Depends on your electric hob...do elucidate...

    Likes (0)

#857 Fri 15 Feb 13 8:45am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Grandmadamada wrote:

looking for "organic" meat in London is there any chance?? and if not, at a supermarket would you buy calf for a child, thinking the way they are fed to grow in a  short time, would you prefer beef, and more which or any part (filetto, muscolo, girello) since it has to be run through a food processor

........ my nipotina will soon eat in a childrens' school her lunch wish me good luck smile  help  crossed

Oh Grandmadamada , you do worry about what your little nipotina eats , yes there is Organic meat in London ,
Plenty of it I'm sure , it's just knowing where to buy it easily .
I know there are organic butchers in Borough Market which your daughter will know where it is , it's a very busy market and not easy to get around with a pushchair.
I also know that there are loads of small farmers markets in London and they are usually very accessible with a pushchair .
There are also farmers that do an organic meat box delivery , like an organic veg box delivery .
I know that  'Riverford' deliver organic meat boxes and I know there are others , but that's the one I know myself.

Can't beleive little nipotina is almost school age ! Goodness how time flies . But again don't worry , school dinners might not be great (and definatly not like you cooked at the school in Italy ) but your daughter will I am sure cook for the nipotina's in the evening if she's anything like her lovely mother .
My children were at school at the time if Mr Olivers school dinner program and were there when the famous turkey twizzlers got removed from the menu ( I hate to say this but it was their favorite school lunch and one of them still says how upset she was when it was no longer on the menu !!!!)
I used to accept that the school lunch was not he best meal and my children ate loads of fresh veg etc for their evening meal.

The sun might not kiss the vegetables that grow as much as it does in Italy but there are still plenty of veg etc to eat that are good and tasty , so don't worry my lovely friend . X

    Likes (0)

#858 Fri 15 Feb 13 8:57am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

HannahRP wrote:

I love my Jamie recipe books and use them all the time. However when using my Le Cruset oven dish on the hob (electric hob - cooking quick dauphinoise potatoes) - the dish cracked! I then checked (a bit too late I know) and discovered that I couldn't use the dish on the hob.
I thought all Le Cruset could be used on the hob as well as in the oven!
So, my question is what type of dish can I use on the hob and in the oven? O and where can I get one?? Thanks, Hannah xx smile

Welcome to the forum Hannah smile

I have to say that my daughters flat mates did exactly the same thing with her pottery LeCrusset casserole that I'd bought her for a treat .
As a general rule , ceramics go in the oven   Whils Metal goes on the stove top.

There are a few exceptions but even with these they need to be used with a heat diffuser .
The heat diffuser is a layered circular metal disk with perforations and it spreads the heat more evenly under the pan / pot.
I have a large old and now a bit battered clay tagine that I use on the stove top with a heat diffuser .
The tagine is now years old but its the second one I owned , the first one went the way of your Le crusset !
(Cracked the first time I used it as I hadn't realised about the diffuser ).

So if in doubt don't use the ovenproof casserole dish on the stove top , just use use it in the oven !
  smile

    Likes (0)

#859 Fri 15 Feb 13 9:03am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

lestat_68 wrote:

hippytea wrote:

lestat_68, you could call it a rotisserie - but it is also called a clockwork spit roaster or clockwork roasting spit ("spit" is the word for the long rotating skewer you attach the meat to).

I wouldn't try and get one exactly the same as Jamie has in the show (was "Jamie at Home" if I remember rightly) as it was an antique and would be difficult to find. But try Googling, you might find something similar. You may have better luck Googling these terms than "rotisserie", as that can mean a number of different devices, including electric ones.

Thank you hippytea, i hope at least to find something similar to these clockwork spit roaster. The idea is to cook in my garden in a hole at red hot embers... maybe a little pig or a pork leg.
Best regards
big_smile

I have been looking on the Internet , I haven't found a clockwork version of the spit but there are plenty of battery powered portable versions available and even more that seem to be plugged into a power source.

At the moment here in the Uk 'hog roasts' are popular at events so you could also look up equipment for hog roasts as well .  thumbsup

    Likes (0)

#860 Fri 15 Feb 13 9:13am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Maree wrote:

mummza wrote:

Tartare sauce is something that is traditionally eaten with fish here as well Ashen ,  years ago it was always mentioned on the cooking shows , in books and magazines but nowadays you don't here it mentioned much at all.

Tartare is also eaten with fish here but not with seafood/shellfish. See it more with takeaways rather than "fine dining", though. Think it's seen as a bit old-fashioned. Since everything "old is new again" and there's a bit of a retro vibe going on, no doubt it'll come back into "fashion".

That's interesting it's also fallen out of fashion here but it's the restaurants where you mostly see it now , fresh made to go with pieces of fish .

You also see it those little individual sachets (in cafes / budget hotel  chains  etc )but it does not really resemble tartare sauce at all if you dare to try the sachets, even if it  is called tartare sauce  !

    Likes (0)

Powered by PunBB.